Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:54 AM   #1

I have been digital camera shopping for a couple of weeks. I have narrowed it down to these two camera's, the casio z40 and the canon sd200. I want something small and portable with the large LCD. I like the casio because of the battery life and the various best shot modes, the docking station looks nice too. I'm just a little leary of the casio name I know canon has always made great camera's and I haveread nothing but praise from the SD200 with the DIGIC II chip technology. I have went to numerous local stores to try to put my hands on the Canon, but am unable to find it anywhere. I have been able to look at the casio and I really like what I see. The sales people at the store also talk down the casio name. I would just like some feedback to help me conclude on the camera to purhcase. I don't think I would be dissapointed with either. Thanks for any feedback.
kschweitzer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:07 AM   #2
smc

I've thought seriously about both cameras. I've handles both and seen pictures from both but I've never shot pictures so I can't vouch for the ease of use. As for the reliabilty I've read hundreds of consumer reviews from CNET, Amazon consumers, epinions, etc that the onlycompanies that I would feel comfortable with are Canon, Casio, Panasonic and Sony. Bottom line is the z40 is a nice enough camera that you will be more than happy with. You will always find cameras that have better and worse features than yours. Just make sure that you get the important things that matter most to you and don't second guess yourself. Or be like me and analyze everything to death and spend months deciding what to get.

For me:

z40 pros: nice and small, good battery, good pict quality. Casio does seem to be fairlly reliable from consumer reviews I've read. cheap price for 4MP([email protected] Amazon)

cons: no AV out and that was the deal breaker- I have my parents and friends over all the time and it's real nice to do slideshows on a large screen tv. Pic quality no quite as good as Canon. Video mode only 320x240 @15fps.

sd200 pros: vert small, great pic quality, faster, lots of scene modes, great video.

con: only 3 MP for approx same money([email protected]), needs expensive memory for video.

If pic quality is your main goal. Also look into the slightly larger s410-best pic quality IMO for a small 4MP camera. My criteria is sharpness and color saturation-coloring that suits my taste. Sony is equally good but I like the colors on Canon pics better.

Steve
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 1:36 PM   #3

I, too, am in a similar situation as you, kschweitzer69, except I'm comparing the Casio Z30 to the Canon SD200. Unfortunately, there haven't been much reviews on the Z30 yet. What I'm most concerned with the Z30/Z40 is the comments with blurring within the pictures located in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=14

Apparently, if you press the shutter all the way down, it activates the panfocus and it will give you a blurry photo but if you press it half way, it activates the autofocus which would give you the sharper photo. Unfortunately, not many people in that thread has agreed to whether or not that is the way it is.

I would love to know if anyone who has the Z30/Z40can confirm that that's how you get the sharper photos as I know no one wants to have blurry photos.

Cheers.
subliminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 4:14 PM   #4

Thanks for pointing that forum out to me. It really makes me think twice about the casio. I have yet to hear anything negitive on the canon, plus it has the quality name brand to go along with it. I think for now i'm starting to lean towards the canon. Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:53 PM   #5

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the SD200 too.

Now if I can just find a deal for it in Canada, I'll pick it up right away.
subliminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:01 AM   #6

I just ordered the SD200 from beachcamera.com. $249 with free shipping. I should recieve it on Monday, will let you know what I think.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:07 PM   #7

Well I recieved the camera over the weekend and I am very impressed with it. Very small camera. Great performance. Great Pictures. and Great Video. All I could have asked for and more. I was unable to put my hands on this camera in the store, but after now having the camera and seeing the casio in the store I would highly recommend the SD200 to anyone in the market for a small digital. Very quality camera from Canon.