Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:24 PM   #1

Hi!

I am planning to buy a 4 megapixel digital camera and I am doubting between the Canon A85, Nikon Coolpix 4100 and Sony p73. They're in the same price class, so it's very hard to make a choice. The only drawback I can think of about the Sony camera is the memory stick. And what about the Kodak cx7525 which is even cheaper than the other three while offering 5 megapixels.

Please give me some tips,

Thanks,

Dirk Luchtman

dirkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:56 PM   #2
PvB

Did you read the reviews? If not you should do so to learn more about the cameras. And if you haven't compared models in terms of features you should do that as well. It should make the choice easier:idea:.
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 1:18 PM   #3

I have read all reviews and not only on this site. The cameras are very similar in terms of features and overall image quality. So, it's hard to make a choice. I know the Canon is a very popular camera, but Nikon is one of the best brands, isn't it? Sony is know for razor sharp images. In short, I know that these three cameras each make a very good choice, but I want to make the best choice.

I hope anyone can give me a clue.

Thanks,

Dirk

Old Nov 15, 2004, 1:44 PM   #4
PvB

Did you also visit www.megapixel.net? At the end of a review they rate a camera according to functionality and photographic qualities. They also list the pros and cons.

Try visiting a shop that sells the cameras you've listed. If possible, hold the camera to see how it feels. You may even be able to give each camera a trial run. Ask the sales people about comments on the cameras from other customers, as well as finding out what they think themselves.

If this doesn't help you will either need to hear from people with (a lot of) photography experience andpersonal experience with one or more of the cameras you've chozen, or else face a very hard choice that may only be made according to the lowest price:sad:. Be sure to buy from a shop that will either refund or change/swap your camera for a different one, should you not be happy with your choice.

Good luck.

PvB
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 2:13 PM   #5

Did you look here?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...3&show=all
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 4:20 PM   #6

Add a bit more and get the Canon A80 with a swivel LCD and more controls. (My brother has one)

That's your best choice.

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 4:37 PM   #7

The answer to which is 'best' depends on what job you are going to use it for. The camera that is 'best' for portability, might not be so good for nature photography. And the one, that is great for sports, can't fit in your pocket.

In the end, it is picture quality that should be the deciding factor. But, what kind of pictures? Macros, street shots, architecture, portraits? Each use demands different features and there may not be one camera that is great in every situation.

Definitely, don't rule out any cameras based on single issues. "I NEVER would pick a camera with a Rang-Dang Bafflegab!! They are inferior! I will only use a Wing-Ding Bafflegab!!"

Which memorycard the camera uses is one of those non-issues that ends up with you excluding what might be the perfect camera before the fact. In short, don't worry about the memory card. You are going to be buying memory cards no matter what camera you choose and one is as good as the other.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 4:56 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, the memory card issue should not be that big of a problem, but then I still do not know which camera to buy. My highest bet is on the Canon A85, because it has very good reviews and is the follower of the very popular A70 and A75. However, the thing that I find most important in my pictures is sharpness and contrast, as color can be partly changed afterwards. So, I need a camera that makes sharp pictures. I will make pictures of landscapes most of the time I think. Indoor performance, however, is also relevant to me. My father has a Sony DSC P51 and although its outdoor performance is excellent, indoor, it performs poorly without flash and with flash, everything gets too much overexposed.