Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:46 AM   #1

OK, last Sunday, I purchased the Olympus C770 because of a great deal at Nebraska Furniture Mart. I purchased it for $399 along with a free memory card which saved over another $100. It was a great deal and my husband strongly encouraged the purchase, as well as the salespersons (which is plural). So far, I am learning alot about the camera, but still feel like I have a ton to learn. I have only been practicing at home in lower light situations and have been somewhat satisfied with the results. I know this is definitely the operator and not the camera. I have looked at some outstanding photos on various websites that the C770 has taken and am more than impressed! I hope I can become that good at photography. Any suggestions?

This is where I need the help, did I make the best purchase? I can still return the C770 for aprice, but am still just a little disappointed that I do not have the FZ20. Can anyone offer me any peace here? Thank you.
loriehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:10 PM   #2

:sad:Buyer's Remorse is not uncommon with major purchases. We worry about whether we have made the right choice. This is especially true if, as it appears, you felt that you were pressured by your husband and the gang of salespeople to buy the Olympus because it was a 'good deal'. Maybe it was. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the Olympus. Many people own one and are happy with it BUT, I think that, because you really wanted the Panasonic, if anything isn't perfect with the Olympus you will regret buying it.

No camera is perfect. There will be little fiddly bits about the Olympus that you will not like (and other things that you will like) but it will always nag at you.

The Panasonic will have its fiddly bits too of course. Understanding that, I would feel free to take the Olympus back and buy the camera you had your heart set on and then accept it (warts and all) as what you really wanted.

You husband will understand and the salespeople..who cares!
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 2:48 PM   #3

The FZ20 is by most accounts the best camera in its class, but the C770 is also an excellent camera. Think about what you will be using the camera for: nature scenes, kid/grandkid photos, portraits, sports photos, etc. How portable does the camera need to be (the Japanese tourist factor)? This will help you determine which camera suits you needs best.

Both cameras are excellent at everyday photos. I would give the edge on portraits to the C770 as it has better color balance and flesh tones. The C770 is also smaller, making it a bit more convienient to use. The FZ20 would get an edge in lower light and sports photos because of the brighter, stabilized lens.

You mention that you have been testing the C770 in lower light shots. Lower light is one of the toughest conditions for any camera, and what is low light to a camera is not that dark to the human eye. If you are reasonably happy now... try the camera in sunlight and my guess is you'll be delighted with the results. Most pictures posted from any digital camera are taken in good light, something I didn't realize either until it was pointed out to me.

If you feel you got a good deal, and it sounds like you did, just be sure to give it a fair chance before deciding whether to keep or return it.
dsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 4:34 PM   #4

Thank you both so much. Both of you were extremely helpful to me and in different ways. I do really hope that others will help to convince me what a wonderful, can't-go-wrong camera the C770 is. And that I will be able to live with my decision. Thanks again!:-)
loriehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:24 AM   #5

I recently purchased the Z20 and Yes, I do LOVE IT. However,
one thing I have learned (this will be my 5th digital camera purchase) is that there is no "perfect" camera. And it sounds like you got an incredible deal on an awesome camera. I say, enjoy your good find! Prices will come down and in a couple of years if you still yearn for the Z20, you can probably find one for very little money. I, too, looked at the Olympus line and the only thing that deterred me was the price of the xd cards! And it's a lot more portable than the Z20 too. If I had found your great deal, I would have grabbed it myself ! Enjoy your new camera.
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 2:27 AM   #6

loriehall wrote:
Quote:
Thank you both so much.* Both of you were extremely helpful to me and in different ways.* I do really hope that others will help to convince me what a wonderful, can't-go-wrong camera the C770 is. *And that I will be able to live with my decision.* Thanks again!:-)
Don't worry. I've a C770 myself and will recommend it to anyone who is interested in the digital photography.

And you got a very good deal too, I got mine for $485 with an extra battery, bag and free USB xD card reader.

And just remember, you've got a much much smaller camera than the FZ20, which already an advantage in terms of portability (my main issue), and you get better photos too (less post processing required).

So just go out and take lots of photos, and you see the results and you're happy, you're ok. If not, return it and try the FZs.

Thon.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:28 AM   #7

I know what you mean about setting your heart on something ... i did the same with the FZ20 so i ordered it last night as i wasn't giving other cameras a fair hearing anymore so it was best just to give in and buy it lol

But I'm sure you've got a great deal on your camera and when you go out and get some great shots you'll be happy with your choice :|
porcelain82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:48 AM   #8

they just got the z20 in my local camera shop today and apart from the obvious(12xzoom&IS) its spec is no better than your average compact!!. olympus is still a sound buy!!
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:37 PM   #9

mweb wrote:
Quote:
they just got the z20 in my local camera shop today and apart from the obvious(12xzoom&IS) its spec is no better than your average compact!!. olympus is still a sound buy!!
That's like saying a Ferrari is just like any other car if you discount the 12 cylinder motor. :lol:

I have an Pana FZ3 and love it, but I wanted to try and present a fair picture about the C770 as well. I think I did that without being biased one way or the other. Arguing "my brand is better than your brand" does no one any good, especially loriehall, who was looking for re-assurance that she made a good choice (and I think she did).
dsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 7:09 PM   #10

dsuds wrote:
Quote:
mweb wrote:
Quote:
That's like saying a Ferrari is just like any other car if you discount the 12 cylinder motor. :lol:

I have an Pana FZ3 and love it, but I wanted to try and present a fair picture about the C770 as well. I think I did that without being biased one way or the other. Arguing "my brand is better than your brand" does no one any good, especially loriehall, who was looking for re-assurance that she made a good choice (and I think she did).
Basically, the one-upmanship phenomenon is very very clearly seen in the current digital cameras scene (a bit like mobile phones, computers, cars, etc...).

Everyone wants the best, and doesn't want to be ridiculed for spending a ton of money on something that isn't that good (ego).

The my "brand is better than yours" shouldn't be an issue actually. In the early years, yes, but now with technology moving so fast, all the major players are actually very very close to each other in terms of quality, features, etc. There will always be some kind of compromise for each camera model, it's a matter of getting the camera you want without sacrificing the most important features that you want.

For example, if you can take a larger camera with slightly noisy pics, which has IS with 12X zoom, the PANASONIC FZ20 would be your best choice. If you want great pics in a compact ultrazoom and don't mind the absence of IS, the OLYMPUS C770UZ will be a great choice. If you want the ability to have video with optical zoom and swivel LCD with IS, but 3MPs,..., then the Canon S1 IS is a good choice.

For loriehall, the main thing in having a camera is the ability to capture good images. If you are not fully satisfied with the C770 after using it for a couple of weeks, return it and try the FZs. Who knows, you may later think the Oly is better!!!

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote