Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:14 PM   #1

I have been doing alot of research and have narrowed it down to these two cameras (I think). Does anyone have an opinion either way. My wife tends to like things very simple, I on the other hand don't mind playing around with settings etc.

Any help would be appreciated
Craxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2004, 1:35 PM   #2
PvB

Do a side by side comparison if you haven't done so already. Here are a few things to think about:roll:: The FZ20 weighs more and is bigger than the S1. The S1 uses AA batteries, whilest the Fz20 uses Li-ion power packs. The FZ20 has a hotshoe and AF assist, the S1 has a tilt and swivel (nifty feature I think, but not necessarilydeciding)LCD (though it's smaller than the 1 on the FZ20). The S1 has no dedicated macro, but it has a higher resolution option for movies. The FZ20 has more MPs, but 3 MP is more than enough if you won't be printing anything larger than A4. More MPs is of course always useful if you do a lot of manipulation of your photos.

If you are lookinga list of what cameras are used for (such as family, all around, or long shot) you should try this link: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM. I myself haven't found a list that comes close in ease of use (due to the widerange of camera purposes with their own "top cameras that fulfill the role" list) anywhere else on the web (pity really:sad.

Should you want to do a side by side comparison there - be warned:!:: the specs lists aren't as complete as they could be. For that I would check out other sites.

PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 9:01 AM   #3

FZ20 is not comparable to the S1 IS; instead, the FZ3 is more comparable.... you can tell by looking at the prices...

If you just compare FZ20 to S1 IS, the FZ20 is FAR BETTER... if you compare the FZ3 to the S1 IS, then the two cameras are comparable...

Just to give a rough idea, FZ20 is 5MP (S1 is 3megapixels), has hot-shoe, 2" LCD (vs 1.5" for S1), etc... The FZ20 blows the S1 out of competition...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 3:16 AM   #4

Craxim wrote:
Quote:
I have been doing alot of research and have narrowed it down to these two cameras (I think).* Does anyone have an opinion either way.* My wife tends to like things very simple,* I on the other hand don't mind playing around with settings etc.

Any help would be appreciated
If you are still thinking... just ask yourself what are the main features you'd like on your digicam?

Size?
Megapixels?
Photo quality?
Movie mode?
Manual controls (which you obviously like)?
conversion lenses/external flash?
IS (I think you'd want this)?

Anyway, If you want small, go for the FZ3 or what I have, the Olympus C770UZ.

The Oly actually does all the things that the Canon S1 and Panasonic FZs can do, better (except for the lack of IS).

And IS is not a guarantee for no camera shake, it just helps to reduce it. If you can live without it, the C770UZ will be one of the best choices.

Oh yes, the MPEG4 movie mode is great too, more video time for less memory.

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:29 AM   #5

Thon wrote:
Quote:
Craxim wrote:
The Oly actually does all the things that the Canon S1 and Panasonic FZs can do, better (except for the lack of IS).
I don't know if the Olympus actually has the best picture quality. I think the Panasonic has better pics...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote