Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2004, 5:28 PM   #1

Hi all- I have been using a Canon A70 for the last 18 months and it really does everything I want EXCEPT longer videos. The A70 can only do 30 seonds at 640x480. I would really like to be able to do at least three minutes (a faster frame rate would also be nice, but I can live with what I have). I have nosed around here and at dpreview and imaging-resources, but so far I am only coming up with superzoom cams. While a 10x zoom would be nice (hey, why not?) I have rarely wantedanything more than the 3x on the A70, and those superzooms seem a lot bulkier/heavierthan my little A70. There mightbe less "grab-it-and-go" with them.

So you can see I'm pretty undemanding of my camera. I just want more video. I have looked at the Canon S1 IS. Advantages (from my perspective): standard AA batteries, I can use my existing CF (although it sounds like I could really use a bigger and faster CF card), and the controls are very similar to the A70. But it's big! Is there anything in the little point-and-shoot category that will fit the bill? TIA.
AlanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2004, 6:17 PM   #2
rp3

The camera I like (own, make my avatar and recommend everywhere I go) is the Canon SD200. It has unlimited (except by memory and memory speed) 640x480/30 movies and 1 minute 320x240/60 movies. It's very light but you would be going to SD memory and a propretary battery. It has a 3x zoom (another upgrade compared to the SD100) and weighs less than 5 oz.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 3:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I have been plowing through the video capabilitythread posted here by Beverly and found it very useful. I guess the SD200/300 are new enough that I didn't notice them until now. Those and theFuji E550look like the best choices for me. Anyone have any thoughts on comparing them? As far as I can tell, the big issues are SD vs. xD flash memory, 3x vs 4x zoom, proprietary battery vs standard AA, and general image quality. I think the bottom line is:

1.Cost:The SDs wouldultimately cost around $50 less. I would need a 1GB SD card and a spare battery for the SD300 vs.two 512MB xD cards for the E550.

2. Batteries: The E550 will be easier to deal with in general.I find AAs are just less hassle, and it sounds like the E550 might go longer between swaps than the SD300.

3. Image quality: The E550 seems to win this pretty easily.6MP vs. 4MP and no soft corners. While it sounds like one reviewer - imaging resource - got an exceptionally bad camera to review, the test images here and elsewhere make pretty clear that the SD300 has very soft corners. OTOH, the SD300 may do a bit better on contrast.

But the SD300 is certainly more pocketable, and it has an AF assist light for low-light situations. If anyone thinks I'm missing any important issue, or if I'm missing any other good cameras, please let me know.
AlanF is offline   Reply With Quote