Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:02 PM   #1

Hi there, new to the forums. Would just like to say 'ello, and compliment you guys on what a great and helpful community you guys have here. Anyhoo, back to the topic at hand;

I am looking to buy a new digital camera, my old toshiba pdr-m5 has served me well, but I need something with more guts.

I want something that can function as a 'snap-shot' camera, something small enough that I can carry it around with me everywhere, open up and snap 'reference' pictures.

I also want something that has flexibility to compose a decent shot and has enough manual options so that I can take planned compositions.

I need something that can take good low light pictures without flash, or if it uses flash something that doesn't bleech out the colors.

The main purpose of the camera will be reference/photography of artwork.

I have been looking at either the canon s500 or the canon powershot g7, any comments on either of these or anything else similar?
Jucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2004, 2:43 PM   #2
rp3

I'll add another two canon's to your mix. In the portable corner is the SD200. It's a sub 5oz camera with a 3x zoom and a manual mode with white balance, long shutter, ISO and color balance settings.

Between the S500 and the G7 is the S60/S70 which is a more functional camera than the S500 but a lighter camera than the G7
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:38 PM   #3

Jucas wrote:
Quote:
Hi there, new to the forums. Would just like to say 'ello, and compliment you guys on what a great and helpful community you guys have here. Anyhoo, back to the topic at hand;

I am looking to buy a new digital camera, my old toshiba pdr-m5 has served me well, but I need something with more guts.

I want something that can function as a 'snap-shot' camera, something small enough that I can carry it around with me everywhere, open up and snap 'reference' pictures.

I also want something that has flexibility to compose a decent shot and has enough manual options so that I can take planned compositions.

I need something that can take good low light pictures without flash, or if it uses flash something that doesn't bleech out the colors.

The main purpose of the camera will be reference/photography of artwork.

I have been looking at either the canon s500 or the canon powershot g7, any comments on either of these or anything else similar?
Just a few other questions.

How small are you looking at? Ultra compact? Compact? (The G6 is not that small actually, S500 is very small.)

How much optical zoom do you like? Do you want a wide angle lens? Do you want ability to add conversion lenses/filters?

How much manual control do you want? (S500 has minimal manual controls/G6 has lots.)

These questions should get you started.

I've a Olympus C770UZ which I upgraded from a Stylus/mju-400 (not enough manual controls). It has great pics, 10x optical zoom, very good macro mode, enough manual controls, flash hotshoe and MPEG4 movie mode. And it's compact enough to put in a jacket pocket (but not a pants pocket), which is already an advantage over other ultra zooms.

Anyway, take your time to look around and try out as many cameras (not just from 1 brand) as possible, or read the reviews.

Regards
Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote