Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2004, 3:07 PM   #1

Hi there..

Perhaps someone can help me.. After thoroughly reviewing and researching as much as possible on the P100 and W1, there is nothing which stands out out of the 2 ie the deciding factor. As far as i know, the only difference, apart from size, is the W1 uses NiMH batteries and has a larger 2.5" screen. Yet those dont set it apart!!

Is there any difference in picture quality, or functionality? hopefully someone can help me make my mind up!!

thanks

jinxt

jinxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2004, 5:04 PM   #2

I don't know anything about the picture quality and stuff like that, but based on the specs...

The two cameras are extremely similar. I think the 2.5" LCD screen is a HUGE difference (do note that the P100 has more pixels for its LCD)! Apart from that, the specs are nearly identical between them. The P100 is smaller than the W1 (although its length is slightly larger). I think you would go for the P100 if you want something small, and otherwise get the W1...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 8:35 PM   #3
smc

The W1 has opitions such as attachable wide angle, telephoto lens, external flash, not really a hotshoe and lens filters.

I like them both. I held both and the W1 feels like a small brick and the P100 more like an oversized Hershey bar, Maybefour or fiveNestle crunches held together.

Steve
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:27 AM   #4

smc wrote:
Quote:
The W1 has opitions such as attachable wide angle, telephoto lens, external flash, not really a hotshoe and lens filters.
That's a good point but I don't know if anyone in the ultra-compact market will care about optional lenses and stuff like that. These small cameras really aren't tailored to use these extra stuff... besides, the cost of the lens will be fairly large compared to the price of the camera...
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:28 AM   #5

I now have a W1 so I can only comment on it, but I'm very satisfied with it. Some say the pictures are a bit soft, some get blurry pictures due to the automatic ISO being a bit low by default I believe.

For myself, I can say well over 95% of my pictures turn out great. And after over 400 pictures I got maybe 5 blurry pictures, so I can't fault the camera. (And I'm quite fussy about picture quality) Red eye IS a problem.

But one thing I want to warn people about, after using a large LCD screen, it's hard to go back, pixel count or not. When I borrow other cameras with a small LCD I just don't enjoy taking pictures as much. (And I used to use the viewfinder only! ;-)
Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:39 AM   #6
smc

I'm taking no offense. I was just pointing out the differences between the two cameras. I am looking at both of those cameras and it is very unlikely that I would buy addtl lens or filters.

CNET gave the p100 a middling review which to me constitutes a bad review. They said the pic quality was "disappointing". Every other review I've read, raved about how awesome the pics looked.I thought the P100 and W1 had the same image sensors?

I'ma firm believer in buying stuff from Amazon. Firstly I trust them; there prices a real good, free shipping on most cameras and no tax. The other New York camera stores worry me, other than B and H. becuase you might get a gray market camera with no US warranty or you get the camera only and the boxed accessories are missing.

Amazon right now has the P100 for $330 and the W1 for $320 also for the W1 you get a free 64 MB MS or $25 off a larger one. If you sign up for their VISA you instantly get $30 off. The other cameras I'm looking at the s410/500 are close in price but the Sony's give you alot more. I do notice their prices change a little daily.

Steve

smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:13 PM   #7

Pic-It wrote:
Quote:
I now have a W1 so I can only comment on it, but I'm very satisfied with it. Some say the pictures are a bit soft, some get blurry pictures due to the automatic ISO being a bit low by default I believe.
I'm just a newbie but, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think blurry pics are most likely due to camera shake (or having longer exposure times or slower shutter speed). The ISO should not really impact blurriness. Where ISO plays a role is with noise (little dots you see in pics)...
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:23 PM   #8

The P150 is another hundered dollars, but I would consider it over the other two.
The noise reduction doesn't seem as militant, resulting in sharper fotos
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:37 PM   #9

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:

I'm just a newbie but, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think blurry pics are most likely due to camera shake (or having longer exposure times or slower shutter speed). The ISO should not really impact blurriness. Where ISO plays a role is with noise (little dots you see in pics)...

ISO does have an effect on blurry photos. Setting a higher ISO allows the camera to move the shutter speeds upward. The higher the shutter speed, the less likely you will get a blurry photo, as the higher speed cancels out movement (of the camera or the subject).

Phil
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote