Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2004, 5:20 PM   #1

Hi, im quite new to the digital camera sceen and having read alot of reviews to the point of my head feels like its going to explode i have almost decided on the G6 but i was hoping for a little better in the way of video recording, while this is not essential it would be nice..

So i was wondering if there are any other cameras out there i should check out in terms of picture quality and video recording/playback etc bearing in mind that the G6 is right at the limit of my sepending budget.

any advice would be most welcome
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2004, 5:58 PM   #2

I think the key thing is the TYPE of camera you want. In particular, what type of photos are you going to take? Examples of types to me include ultra-zooms (10x+ zoom), ultra-compact, compact, DSLR, normal low-zoom prosumer, etc. Once you have narrowed down the type, you'll be left with only a few cameras.

Based on your potential purchase of the Canon G6, I assume that you are looking for a mid-end prosumer camera (as opposed to mass-market oriented consumer cameras). Since you say that the G6 is close to your upper limit on price, I also assume that you are not going for high-end prosumer (Canon Powershot Pro1) or DSLR.

If I were to recommend a couple of cameras you should check out, they would be the following. First of all, the competitor to the Canon G6 is the Sony V1. I don't know the specs off the top of my head but Sony generally offers the best video features. Another camera that I would strongly recommend is the Panasonic DMC-FZ20. This is an ultra-zoom (12x zoom; 5MP) so it isn't exactly comparable to the Canon G6, which is a low-zoom normal camera. Nevertheless, the FZ20 stands alone as a good camera whether you are looking for an ultra-zoom or not.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 6:53 PM   #3

ok type of camera, im not to keen on Ultra Compact, but im not to fussy if it does the job well

as for the type of shots.. again i tend to do all types, i dont really need something that cam zoom in from 3 miles away but if it has the ablity i would probably use it from time to time, i like the ablity to be close to something and zoom right in, take shots of wild life, views, night shots,indoors, general holiday snaps (this is where the video would be useful also), shots at sporting events etc, not to helpful this is it

on the plus side, having just had a chat with the girlfriend she has offered to put some extra cash towards the camera and i now have roughly $850 to spend
Old Nov 17, 2004, 8:23 PM   #4

Blaupunkt wrote:
Quote:
i like the ablity to be close to something and zoom right in, take shots of wild life, views, night shots,indoors, general holiday snaps (this is where the video would be useful also), shots at sporting events etc, not to helpful this is it
lol I think you covered every single activity possible by a human Here are some very rough notes on what you need:

* If you want nature shots of animals, you want zoom...
* If you want pics of sporting events (where you are seated far), zoom is desirable...
* if you want to take pics of something very close (eg. coins, textures, etc), you want something with good macro capability
* If you want decent video, you want 640x480 at 30 fps (or better) and you generally have to trade off still pic quality for movies...
* If you want landscapes or indoor pics, you want low angle
* If you want indoor pics, it's good to have AF-assist lamp, good flash, and good focusing system

Quote:
on the plus side, having just had a chat with the girlfriend she has offered to put some extra cash towards the camera and i now have roughly $850 to spend
If you get a camera for $500, you'll probably spend another $100 to $200 on accessories, shipping, taxes, etc. For example, most people would need to buy a memory card, bag, and batteries and recharger as a bare minimum. Other optional extras would include flash, tripod, memory card reader (for your computer), etc.

Anyway, I think the Canon G6 price range is pretty good for what you are looking for. Moving beyond that really jacks up the price...

If I bought a camera at your price range, I would get the Panasonic DMC-FZ20. It isn't as good for general pics as the Canon G6 or the Sony V1 but it has zoom, which is nice to have. BUT like nearly all ultra-zooms, it has weaknesses in low-light, electronic viewfinder, low-end video, and stuff like that...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:03 AM   #5

The next question will be do you need 7Mps? Or rather, what size prints do you plan to make?

What is type of photography that most interest you?
If you need a lot zoom power for faraway subjects, an ultrazoom would be best. If you like nature/vistas, a camera with a wide angle lens is good. Some cameras have better macro ability than others (Olympus generally has has a good macro mode). The choice will depend on your type of photography.

What about size of the camera?
The bigger/heavier the camera, the more tedious it is to bring it around. The less you bring it around, the less photos you'll tend take (read: cost more per photo). Prosumers and Ultrazooms are bigger/heavier than normal compacts.

Your budget is good, but you should remember, the bigger the MPs the more memory capacity you need, so factor that in.

I own a Olympus C770UZ, has 4MPs, which is enough for my needs. It is the most compact ultrazoom available. The 10X zoom is great but I have to compromise on wide angle (only 38mm equivalent). The photo quality is great for a 4mp and generally requires very little post processing. It has manual controls, flash hotshoe and a great MPEG4 movie mode (more video time for less memory). A small downside, no IS feature, but I can live with it.

Just remember there is no "perfect camera" yet out there. Just get one that satisfy as many needs as possible and make sure the weaknesses it might have doesn't bother you too much (learn to overcome the weaknesses by testing/asking around in the forums). Oh yeah, take lots of photos, the "film" is reusable and already paid for.

Regards
Thon.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:01 AM   #6

the cameras i looked at before the G6 that took my intrest were..

the Olympus C-7000 Zoom and the Fuji FinePix S7000

any thoughts on these ?

i would say "wide angle" shots i could cope with not having so much
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:08 AM   #7

you should look at the pentax optio 750z too!
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:29 AM   #8
PvB

If indoor photos aren't a major item then I would advise the Canon Powershot S1 IS. It has no hotshoe or AF assist (but itdoes havefull manual mode, including manual focus). It has good video (up one GB at a time), and a stabilised 10x optical zoom. It's compact and light for an ultrazoom. It's got 3.2 MP (good enough for printing up to A4 size) and is capable ofpretty goodmacros (minimum for macros is 4cm at wide angle and 93cm at full tele). The S1 is a user-friendly camera that can grow with you because of the various levels of control that you can make use of.

For more info I would advise reading reviews and specs. It falls within your budget (Price between $300 and $400).
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
If indoor photos aren't a major item then I would advise the Canon Powershot S1 IS. It has no hotshoe or AF assist (but it does have full manual mode,including manual focus).

Are you sure?
rbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:00 AM   #10

I have owned a s7000 (now have a S20 PRO) the performance and spec of this camera is several leagues higher than anything mentioned in this thread!!. Yet now it is very well priced!:-)
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote