Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2004, 8:39 PM   #1

The Olympus C-8080 is now around $650 which is roughly the same price at the G6. I have compared sample pictures and they are roughly the same quality. The 8Mp on the Oly is slightly noisier than the 7MP on the G6. While the Oly at 5x is more zoom than the G6 at 4x.

Slightly better movie mode and Macro mode on the Oly.

Also 1/1.8" CCD on the G6 while the Oly has a larger 2/3"..

All in all it looks like the Oly may be the better value. Am I missing anything that should make me get the (except the smaller size) on the G6..

I dont have any specific needs other than I want to graduate from entry level Canon A95 and Sony W1 to more advanced.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2004, 4:06 AM   #2

chrisdsa wrote:
Quote:
The Olympus C-8080 is now around $650 which is roughly the same price at the G6. I have compared sample pictures and they are roughly the same quality. The 8Mp on the Oly is slightly noisier than the 7MP on the G6. While the Oly at 5x is more zoom than the G6 at 4x.

Slightly better movie mode and Macro mode on the Oly.

Also 1/1.8" CCD on the G6 while the Oly has a larger 2/3"..

All in all it looks like the Oly may be the better value. Am I missing anything that should make me get the (except the smaller size) on the G6..

I dont have any specific needs other than I want to graduate from entry level Canon A95 and Sony W1 to more advanced.
Are you worried about the extra size of the Oly? If not, the Oly is the better choice. The noise issue shouldn't be a problem if you print smaller sizes.

The Oly has the added bonus of a wide angle lens too, but the Canon has the nice swivel LCD too.

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:08 PM   #3

yes. Im worried about the big size.. Plus I am also concerend about the speed. I have heard that the G6 is very fast shot to shot and startup etc..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote