Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2004, 7:55 PM   #1

I have a friend who seems to be addicted to upgrading his cameras by the mega pixel value only. He has an 8 mega pixel camera he got only a few months ago (after going through a 2mp, 4mp, and a 6mp)but now is talking about a 12 mega pixel much to his poor wifes horror:-)I can see him continually upgrading every time a bigger mega pixel camera comes on the market. I suggested he buy a DSLR, perhaps the canon 10D or 20D but he seems to think that mega pixel counts for more than lenses.

Ive seen some of the shots he has cropped from the 8mp camera and he can get in very close. Someone at some stage has told him just to upgrade to a bigger mega pixel and that no-one really needs to go DSLR to get quality.

any opinions on this:?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:51 PM   #2
Administrator

To the best of my knowledge, there are no 12 Megapixel Cameras for him to upgrade to, unless he goes with a DSLR (or medium format using a Digital Back).

8 Megapixels is the max you can get right now in a non-DSLR model (these use a Sony 2/3" 8 Megapixel CCD).

Now, Fuji makes a 6 Megapixel CCD for use in their S7000 with a 12 Megapixel Output (but this is using interpolation to add pixels, as the sensor is only capturing 6 Megapixels). If he is only worried about printing to larger sizes without pixelation, you can do the same thing with software (interpolateimages to larger sizes). Of course, interpolation can't increase detail.

If he really wants 12 Megapixels or more, he'll need to go with a DSLR Model (Kodak DCS 14N, Kodak DCS Pro/N, Kodak DCS Pro/C,or Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II).

As far as quality, it depends on what he's shooting. If he needs higher ISO speeds, then the DSLR is definitely the way to go (although the Kodak DCS 14N is not very good in this area, compared to other DSLR choices, based on reviews I've seen).

IMO, the DSLR sensors also appear to have better dynamic range (although I have not seen anybody testing this in controlled conditions). Of course, you'll need decent quality lenses to mate with a DSLR.

Why does he want 12 Megapixels? Is he printing to larger sizes? From your description of his photos, it sounds like he just wants more room to crop. If that's the case, he's better off buying a model using more optical zoom versus one with more megapixels.

If you crop a photo to make it look like you used twice as much optical zoom, it takes 4 times (not twice) the resolution to maintain the same amount of subject detail in pixels per inch.

As a result, even some of the 3 Megapixel Models can produce more detail at max zoom, compared to8 Megapixel Models (if he really needs to bring in distance subjects so that they are filling the frame).

Here is a chart that shows how some of the popular "long zoom" models compare:

http://www.geocities.com/digital_ray...oomzoomv6.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:02 PM   #3

I got the impression that he thinks a 12mp prosumer will come out soon. He just likes to crop rather than the expense of lenses if he went DSLR. Claims he can get just as good a photo out of the prosumers now as opposed to the DSLRs. The one difference Ive noticed between my Canon 300d and my G3 is that the G3 seemed to need less work in photoshop post processing with landscapes in particularthan the 300D as the colors with the G3 came out very sharp and bright.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 1:21 PM   #4

The prosumers have small sensors so higher megapixels will produce a lot of noise. At some point, the extra megapixels won't really add much...

Are you sure your friend is upgrading for the megapixels, and not for the power of the prosumer camera? I can see some people upgrading to the high-end prosumer cameras because they are the "best" that can be bought. The problem with the DSLRs is that they require a lot of effort to get them to work. For instance, the LCD screen isn't as great, the controls are harder to use, the scene settings are fewer, and so forth. Someone might just decide to keep getting a high-end prosumer camera, which generally offes all the easy-to-use features while having high-end quality instead of a DSLR.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:50 AM   #5

Ive never really asked him that, however I never have found using the DSLR any kind of chore, maybe for some people it is. I have noticed that there are a couple of prosumer cameras on sale for a very similar price to the lower end DSLR cameras.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 6:29 AM   #6
NHL

IMO the dSLR's interchangeable lenses are mixed blessings: while they are more flexible, they also required planning on 'when to' use and also the need of having a camera bag to carry theses lenses around which can be quite heavy, and inconvenient... or lose the spontaneity of the moment because of lens changes.

If someone doesn't have the need for higher ISO pictures then a high-end prosumer may be a better choice. Theses type of cameras usually span from wide-telephoto all the way to macro from one self-contained unit -> Theses cameras are also much lighter to travel with!
"Even the Canon 10D and a couple of lenses would be more than I wanted to carry on holiday. But like the little Sony, the Minolta would easily fit in a coat pocket or shoulder bag, and could be carried for the long hours that I knew I would spend walking the streets of Barcelona, Seville and Cordoba. Street photography is what I do when I travel for pleasure, and the small size and weight of the camera that I'm using is the key to not tiring on a day with 10-12 hours of walking the streets of a strange city."
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...location.shtml

Quote:
I have noticed that there are a couple of prosumer cameras on sale for a very similar price to the lower end DSLR cameras.
Very true.
However, this is also true: by the time one adds the same quality lenses to cover the ranges (macro+tele+wide) afforded by theses digicams, the cost (especiallly with 'Image Stabilized' lenses) is now considerably more, and the need for that camera bag again!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:10 AM   #7

I guess for someone doing street photography, yes the prosumer would be the way to go. However this guy takes the same sort of shots as I do, wildlife, sports, portraits. I never got as good portrait shots from my G3, they were Ok but not anything like the shots Ive got with the DSLR.

I just cant see this guy getting the shots of surfing etc that he could get with a DSLR. I use my prosumer for the quick shots around town etc and it's great for that, however even after I purchased a teleconverter for it, I still could not get bird shots that were what I wanted which is why I ended up going DSLR in the first place.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 6:39 AM   #8
NHL

You can browse by camera over theses sites to determine what each camera (or lens) is capable of depending on their user:

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/br...age=3&id=26156
http://www.pbase.com/cameras
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote