Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:21 PM   #1

I can't decide between these cameras. The size and new technology seems good about the sd300, but the s 500 seems to be a proven commodity(even Steve's review, says "excellent" for the s500 as versus to sd 300"good choice" description) Is the purple fringing (CA) a real problem with sd 300 but not the 500? Canon says the sd 300 should be even better image and quicker. I don't print many big pictures and want the better photo quality, tho speed would be nice. If I go with the s500, would using ultra 2 compact flash card help the sped issue much? Finally, there is talk that a new model for the 500 will be coming out in Feb. .. What would you suggest? Thanks.
shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2004, 3:35 PM   #2

i have just ordered the sd300, basically because size is v important for me, the 500 was just that bit too big to carry everywhere. if size wasn't a massive consideration i would have gone for the 500, the image quality IS better from what i've heard on here and elsewhere. thats about where my expertise ends!! i believe the sd300 doesalso have a slightly bigger lcd. check this tho maybe!good luck
teddyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 2:05 PM   #3

I've changed my mind about the priority of size alone and am now looking at the CanonS70. I'd like to be able to use it as my ONE camera, not just just a s a second.All the store people have advised me it is a better camerawith just a littlebigger size. I am not sure it is necessary though .
shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:58 AM   #4

i have had both the s500 and the SD300 and i prefer the SD300 here is why...

size (thinner especially)

screen size

video (while they both have 640 x 480 the S500 is a measly 10fps cropped to 30 secs while the SD300 is 30fps and will run till you are out of memory the SD300 also has 320x240 at 60fps!!! which is good for sports because you can play it back in slow motion without it looking choppy)

SD card (sd memory is smaller and usually more efficient:: i had the S410 as well and on a 256MB card i got 160 pictures at full resolution and with this one i can get around 180 but i wouldnt make the decision entirely on this)

Digital macro (this setting allows you to engage just the digital zoom when doing macro shots -using optical zoom during macro photography is almost impossible)

faster (the time between shots is quicker and yuo can hold the shutter until the card is full and it barely slows down!!)

for the same price i would go with the SD300 because of the reasons above and i would not be worried about going from a 5mp to a 4mp because even on 8.5x11in printouts they look the same.

i have a couple pictures from my 4mp S410 that i had early summer email me [email protected]
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote