Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:02 PM   #1
fh

I know these cameras seem to be far apart. However, I cannot seem to find a good reason to pay double as I am mainly interested in picture quality, and access to manual setting. Those two seems to fair almost equaly in that regard. Will appreciate your views. Thx.
fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:24 PM   #2

I don't know if this will help but I have an A40 and a G3. I like them both but the G3 takes much better quality photos, has more options and gives you more controlover your camera.

If money is not the deciding factor I would get the G6.
stevemartin52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 8:10 PM   #3

I own a G6. I like LOTS of manual setting options.

My wife has an A95. She likes to point and shoot.

We BOTH love our cameras.
bosamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 8:39 PM   #4
fh

Thx to both for the quick response and your insight.

One more question if you don't mind...since you and your wife own both cameras, do you notice a difference in terms of picture quality for 5X7 and 8X10? Also do you find low light focus , shutter lag tobe better on G6. I take lot ofindoor kid pictures and like to print 8X10to send to grandparents.

Thx!
Old Nov 19, 2004, 9:03 PM   #5

You can do a side-by-side comparison here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...on_g6&show=all

The key differences, apart from image quality, are:

G6 has,

* 7 MP (vs 5 megapixels)
* 4x zoom (vs 3x); G6 also has wide-angle at a lower value of 35mm which is good for indoor/tight pics
* best aperture at F2.0 (vs F2.8)
* 5 meter flash range (vs 2.5m) (I'm not really sure about the flash specs though)
* flash hot-shoe
* included infrared remote control
* raw output
* 2" LCD (vs 1.8")

Basically the G6 is a high-end prosumer general camera, while the A95 is a mainstream point&shoot general camera. If you want a serious camera that you will use to its fullest extent, then the G6 is good; otherwise, get the A95 , which is good for general family use...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:14 PM   #6

Sivaram is correct in his analysis.

My G6 is MILES ahead of the A95. That was my original point (abet stated in very few words). The A95 is an EXCELLENT camera too, however, it is designed for a person who desires pure point and shoot simplicity. I consider it the HIGH-END of ALL point and shoot cameras currently available.

IfBOTH cameras were set to max pixel and best compression settings it would take a PROFESSIONAL to determine which produced aBETTERphotoat 5x7 and 8x10.

If you enjoy tweaking manual camera settings buy the G6.

If you want point and shoot simplicity get the A95.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:26 PM   #7

fh,

I failed to answer all of your questions in my last post.... so here I go again.

Shutter lag is indistingushibleto ME between the G6 and A95.

The A95 has a specific "indoor" setting for light compensation. Indoor pictures, even in low light, are outstanding.

The AF-assist beam on the G6 is very useful for low light situations. I don't know if the A95 has this feature.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:41 PM   #8
fh

Thx Sivaram for your detailled answer.

Bosamar, I am more and more inclined to the G6 now after reviewing all of its advantage (zoom, extra manual option, easy expo +/- , option for larger print if I want to, hot shoe,..)

Have you used an external flash on your G6? I am so tired of red eye being such a consistant prblm on digicam and I hope an external can help in that regard in addition to bringing indirect lsofter lighting. If you have used any, which kind?

Thx. F.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 11:37 AM   #9

fh wrote:
Quote:
Bosamar, I am more and more inclined to the G6 now after reviewing all of its advantage (zoom, extra manual option, easy expo +/- , option for larger print if I want to, hot shoe,..)
One you have narrowed it down to the G6, don't forget to compare other cameras in its category. In particular, the Sony DSC-V3 is a direct competitor to the Canon G6... if you can "sacrifice" general pic quality for zoom, you might also want to consider the mid-end ultra-zooms like the Panasonic DMC-FZ20--but FZ20 vs G6 is a totally new game since they are in different categories (ultra-zoom vs normal)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote