Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2004, 5:02 AM   #1

I know these features seems like animpossible combination for a single digital camera but Im looking for the smallest camera withthe greatest optical zoom possible.
Please give me some suggestions?
aquastealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:32 AM   #2

aquastealth wrote:
Quote:
I know these features seems like an¬*impossible combination for a single digital camera but Im looking for the smallest camera with¬*the greatest optical zoom possible.
Please give me some suggestions?
Smallest bodies so far with biggest zooms:

1. Nikon 4800 (8x, 4MP)
2. Olympus C770/765UZ (10x, 4MP)
3. Panasonic FZ3 (12x, 3MP)

There are compromised to be made between each cameras. I'd say the Oly and Pana have the best ratios in terms of zoom vs size, with the Oly being slightly smaller but the Pana has IS.

I own a Oly C770UZ and chose it over the FZ3 coz of the slight difference in size (small margin between coat-pocketable or not).

There's not much difference in terms of photo quality between these cameras (any difference is almost impossible to be told apart unless in big prints). I believe many will also tell you that the Oly has a slight edge in terms of photo quality, to me it's not the main issue nowadays (too little difference to tell apart by the average user).

If you ask me, what's the best camera?, I'll tell you, there are pros and cons between each models. The main thing is to determine:

1. What features you need? Essential features.
2. What features you like? Nice but not essential.
3. What features you don't care about? The not-so-likes, but still ok.
4. The cons....

The questions above should include matters on size, zoom power, MPs, IS, AF light, external flash hotshoe, movie mode, type of batteries, manual controls, etc.

This should get you started.

And for the answer to your question above, that's the "Holy Grail" for all digicams. The ultra-compact ultra-zoom (at least 10x or more) with low power consumption, great pics, manual controls, dSLR like performance, IS, AF light, external stuff,... and CHEAP. We are all still waiting for it too.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:17 AM   #3
rp3

On the smaller less zoom side, there is the Pentax Optio SV.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/product...bsection=optio

It's a $500, 5 oz, 5 MP, 5xzoom camera.

For the most part, you will be looking at a 3x zoom (or less) in the ultracompact range and then towards the 12+ oz with the ultra zoom range.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:42 AM   #4
PvB

Canon Powershot S1 IS is comparable in size to the FZ3 from Panasonic. Uses AA batteries instead of powerpacks (from what I've seen on the web it is compatible with v3 powerpacks though).
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote