Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:16 PM   #11

I think I aaw the $650 price with free shipping and no tax on buydig.com which is usually pretty good.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:27 PM   #12

Thanks so much for all of the information Jim. You made some excellent points, and your 'research' on that dealer is invaluable! I think I was just initially blinded by the low price, but after reading what you posted it is definitely not a place that I want to be doing business with! Thank-you for the time you put into making your post, and for saving me! Based on your recommendations I will start again, keeping in mind to make sure I am dealing with a reputable dealer.
macccslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:30 PM   #13

Blaupunkt wrote:
Quote:

the Sony DSC-V3 looks nice also lol, its making my head hurt again :?
lol, you too?! It looks as if we are in the same boat! :?:-)
Old Nov 21, 2004, 6:55 AM   #14

chrisdsa wrote:
Quote:
Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
Olympus costs almost 50% more than the Panasonic.
The Oly 8080 is now around $650 at many sites. Hence it is not 50% more money than either the Panasonic or the Canon G6.
i saw it for a simulor price also, thats what brought my attention to it.

i have also looked at the rebel but i thoguht it might be alttle to advanced for me? where as the 8080 i could use it as a point and shoot until i get used to it then gradually use the advanced features more and more as i gte used tpo the camera.., it also has what appears to be good video redording/play back which is a bonus and whats dissapointed me alittle with the G6.
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 8:37 AM   #15

Good post Jim... when I was buying my camera, I was really scared of running into problems... I still don't know how good my retailer was but this is definitely a problem with online retailers...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 8:56 PM   #16

So whats the consensus.. with the Oly 8080 about the same price as the Canon G6, Sony V3 and slightly more than the Panasonic Z20. .Would you guys go for the Oly????

Ive been agonizing over this descion for about a couple weeks now..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:19 PM   #17

chrisdsa wrote:
Quote:
So whats the consensus.. with the Oly 8080 about the same price as the Canon G6, Sony V3 and slightly more than the Panasonic Z20. .Would you guys go for the Oly????

Ive been agonizing over this descion for about a couple weeks now..
I have too! I just want it over with!
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:50 AM   #18

i think the 8080 is the better of the cameras but seeing as some said they would maybe get the canon rebel i had a quick look at that, i *think* you can pick it up for about $150 more than the 8080.

i would be really intrested in the rebel if i was sure i would be able to use it to a good level, apart from auto focus im not sure if it has any other "auto" features or if its all manual.

one of the reasons the 8080 appealed to me was because of all the auto and manual controls, i could use the camera in auto untill i got to know what i was doing then gradually start to take more manual control of the thing.. if i could do this with the rebel then i know what i would get
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:44 AM   #19

I was wondering the same thing, and havingread through the Rebel review again it does seem tohave both auto and manual modes. User comments on several other sites have said that this is a good camera to grow with, giving you the auto options until you feel more comfortable with taking more of a manual 'approach' with the camera. I hope this information is as much of a help to you as it has beenfor me. If I am wrong in any way I hope someone will read this and let us know!:-D
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:20 AM   #20

You are correct about the Rebel - it has auto and manual controls so it is a great camera to learn with. Here's the issue when deciding to jump into the DSLR market though - the kit lense is a decent low-cost lense by all accounts. But if you were to compare it's capabilities to those of the Oly or Z20 you will find it lacking. This may cause people to say the D-Rebel is a worse camera. The blessing and the curse of DSLRs is that they use interchangable lenses. So, you will need to eventually buy more lenses as you grow into other areas of photography. The benefit is these lenses can 'port' to later Canon DSLRs you may buy (many SLR and DSLR users have had the same lenses carry over multiple camera bodies). Those lenses can be pricy - you will end up spending more for your lenses than the camera body as time goes on. But, you can do this piece meal. When you're talking $500-$1000 investment for a piece of equipment as you are here you need to seriously consider what your goals are for 2-3 years. Some people buy a new digicam every year (at $500-$700 a pop) - I'd take the longer view - if you think 2 years from now you will have gone beyond the constraints of a digicam than an SLR is the best investment. As a rule, sports photography, indoor low-light (talking auditorium, gym type stuff not your living room here)and wildlife photography are good examples of disciplines which generally require an SLRs abilities. Hope this was helpful!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote