Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2004, 5:45 PM   #1

I'm going to buy my first digital camera (about time!) and I'm at a dead end in the camera-choosing-stage. I got very intrested in the Canon Powershot A95 and the Canon Ixus 500. The A95 became my first choise because it seemed to be a better camera than the Ixus 500. The manual oppertuneties in the A95 was very compelling. Howeverwhen I went to a local store to see the camera live I found it a little to big for my taste. So now I'm back to stage one again. There is of course the Ixus 500 but I really would like a camera with more manual features.

So is there a camera like the A95 only smaller?
Disarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:36 AM   #2

The A95 is compact, while the SD500 is ultra-compact. So I guess you want an ultra-compact...

I don't remember the specs but I think the Canon S line (eg. S60/S70) are smaller, although not as small as SD500 I think. The S line costs more though...

You should also look at other competitors. Sony makes the best ultra-compacts, although they are overpriced. Casio makes pretty small cameras that are decent as well...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:56 PM   #3

The A95 is a great camera. Canon puts a very good lens on the camera for the money. Also, the images come out fairly clean (less noise), so you're getting great bang for the buck in the A95.

Keep in mind the A95 is a good starting place, however if you ever get really serious about photography you might eventually upgrade to a D-SLR.

Or, you may find yourself totally satisfied by the A95 for years to come!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:10 PM   #4

Disarmer wrote:
Quote:
So is there a camera like the A95 only smaller?
Sure,

The Canon S60 could be a good option since it comes with full manual controls and also has a wider lens = 28mm

The A95 is also a great camera, but if you prefer a smaller one, the S60 is my choice.

Both delivery high quality images, though theS60 is $100more expensive than the A95......

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:11 AM   #5

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
The A95 is compact, while the SD500 is ultra-compact. So I guess you want an ultra-compact...

I don't remember the specs but I think the Canon S line (eg. S60/S70) are smaller, although not as small as SD500 I think. The S line costs more though...

You should also look at other competitors. Sony makes the best ultra-compacts, although they are overpriced. Casio makes pretty small cameras that are decent as well...

are you talking about the S500 or the SD300, as far as i know there is no SD500 in the US anyways
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:13 AM   #6

There is an SD 100/110/400/410 series, and the SD500 is the 5MP one in that series. Similar to the SD200/300 but much thicker, not as rounded, and with a smaller screen.

Cameras comparable to the A95 are the Sony W1 and the Fuji E510. I'm a big fan of the Fuji myself.

Smaller ones... The Sonys (like the P100) are pretty comparable in their features.

DCM

DigiCamMan is offline   Reply With Quote