Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:46 AM   #11
PvB

A small torch or some other portable source of light should do fine as a makeshift AF assist. A camera focuses using contrast detection, so whether a separate light or a built-in assist is used wouldn't make a difference. Most AF assists are useless beyond a certain range (except a laser or an IR assist), so something like a powerful penlight would do fine.

In program AE the user has access to everything except the shutter speed and the aperture. Flash output can be adjusted, and unless I'm mistaken, so can the flash exposure. The image can always be adjusted on a computer afterwards.

The only time when the flash can be really problematic is when the user tries to take flash macros. This issue applies to many cameras, among which are the FZ3 and the S1.
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:49 AM   #12

PvB wrote:
Quote:
In program AE the user has access to everything except the shutter speed and the aperture. Flash output can be adjusted, and unless I'm mistaken, so can the flash exposure. The image can always be adjusted on a computer afterwards.
I'm just a newbie and I haven't used my S1 that much... but I'm thinking that the key problem is that the camera doesn't focus at all in low-light (or at least you can't see anything through the viewfinder/LCD). So, when I try taking flash pics, I'm almost taking pics blindly, without really knowing if anything is in focus... Perhaps this is a flaw with detection and LCD display, more so than pic quality. The pics turn out ok with the flash but I have no idea what the hell I'm taking :G

At some point in the future, I'll try your laser pen idea. I don't have any laser pointers around so I have to go and buy one but I'll be interested to see how that works... (in any case, I don't usually take short-range low-light pics so this is a low priority for me)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote