Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2004, 8:23 AM   #1

Hello.What camera shouldI buy? Canon s1 IS or Fuji 5000? ? Which is REALLY better? Wich of 2 cameras have the better sensor?
trevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:52 PM   #2

trevol wrote:
Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:06 PM   #3

Have you considered other ultra-zooms from Konica Minolta, Olympus, and Panasonic?

I bought the S1 IS so I'm biased... out of the two you listed, I like the S1 IS better because it has image stabilization and excellent video mode... BUT if you just care about picture quality, something like the Panasonic FZ3 is better than any of these...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:22 AM   #4

Yep......fz3 is much better, but is a lot expensive! The canon s1 is better than minolta z1?
Old Nov 26, 2004, 1:14 PM   #5

trevol wrote:
Quote:
Yep......fz3 is much better, but is a lot expensive! The canon s1 is better than minolta z1?
FZ3 should be the same price as the S1 IS (within a small margin difference)...

I think the S1 is better than the competition (except Panasonic FZ3)--hence resulting in me buying the S1 over the rest. However, do keep in mind that the S1 IS has horrible auto-focus in low-light (especially since it lacks an AF-assist lamp which is useful in night for short-range pics)...

(BTW, shouldn't you be comparing the Konica Minolta Z2 and Z3--not Z1? I don't thik the Z1 is really a worthy competitor. I only look at Z2/Z3 (along with Panasonic FZ3), when I was buying my camera)
Old Nov 26, 2004, 1:15 PM   #6

trevol wrote:
Quote:

That's interesting. Around here, the FZ3 was cheaper than the S1. Where are you located?

Phil
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 4:10 PM   #7

Brazil. And u?
Old Nov 26, 2004, 5:58 PM   #8

The U.S.

Well, that explains the price difference. It's been quite a few years since I was in South America, and I certainly wasn't shopping for digital cameras then, so I don't know what the current pricing structure is.

Both of the cameras you mentioned are fine, and will make great pictures. One really isn't "better" than the other - they just have different features, and you just have to decide which features are important to you. Don't sweat the decision....

Phil
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 8:41 PM   #9

It is truth that canon s1 does not take off good photos with low luminosity? I have a Sony p72 and this is a serious problem: the slowness when the light is little.Therefore I want I trade it.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:47 AM   #10

trevol wrote:
Quote:
It is truth that canon s1 does not take off good photos with low luminosity? I have a Sony p72 and this is a serious problem: the slowness when the light is little.Therefore I want I trade it.
Yes, the Canon S1 IS is supposed to poor in low-light (this is definitely true when you compare against other ultra-zooms which have AF-assist lamp eg. Panasonic Lumix FZ line)... However do note that the pics are mostly ok for the short-range if you use the flash (although using the flash is not necessarily easy, with things being overexposed quite often)...