Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:29 PM   #1

Hi. I am very new to this site; just registered. I have spent some time doing some research and am interested in theabove-mentioned digital cameras. I would like to ask some of the pros and hobbyist out there a few questions about these cameras. My husband and I are photographic fans - but not extreme hobbyist or anything. We have some nice 35mm Canon and Minolta equipment, but no digitals yet. I like what I have read in the reviews and "conclusions" about these two cameras. Could you advise me of whether you think we would notice great differences in clarity of photos (8x10 maximum) and "super fine" mode in these cameras? I know the S70 has the availability of a shorter focal length. Also, is the S70 quite a bit faster in capturing the images and going on to the next (I think they both have a speed mode)? Any other differences that you would deem as major between these two cameras and worth the (approx.) $150> for the S70? Thank you for any input.
kimobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:15 PM   #2

Make sure you read the full reviews of these two. Steve, for example, is a very good reviewer so check him out (I"m not sure if he reviewed these cameras though)...

Here is a side by side comparison, courtesty of dpreview.com:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...n_s70&show=all

* First big difference is that the S70 is 7 megapixels while the A95 is 5 MP. However, the S70 and A95 has the same size sensor so the S70 will produce more noise.

* S70 has much shorter wide-angle so things like indoor pics will be easier (you don't have to step back as much to get the whole room)

* S70 has 3.6x zoom vs 3x for A95 (difference is minor)

* I think the A95 has better/lower aperature so its pics will be better depending on the circumstances (but I'm not really sure if the specs are right)

* A95 has a continuous drive of 2 frames per second, while S70 has 1.2fps (max 14 pics)

* S70 can output raw images, which is good if you like post-processing on the computer afterwards

* A95 has a flip-out&twist LCD display while the S70 doesn't (at least that's what the specs say.. again I'm not sure how accurate the specs are)

So to sum up, the A95 and S70 are pretty similar in most aspects. The key difference is the 7 megapixels of the S70 vs the 5MP of the A95...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:56 PM   #3

Thanks for your response Sivaram. I did read (although not EVERY word!) the reviews of these cameras from Steve's analysis. It is obvious that both are good cameras. I am just trying to decide and elicit responses of whether the S70 would be worth roughly $150. more for an "average" photographer such as myself. The 28mm option would come in handy, but I can't decide whether that, and greater speed would be worth the difference. Thanks again.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:01 PM   #4

kimobaby wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your response Sivaram.* I did read (although not EVERY word!) the reviews of these cameras from Steve's analysis.* It is obvious that both are good cameras.* I am just trying to decide and elicit responses of whether the S70 would be worth roughly $150. more for an "average" photographer such as myself.* The 28mm option would come in handy, but I can't decide whether that, and greater speed would be worth the difference.* Thanks again.
It all depends.

The 2 cameras are meant for different user types.

In my opinion, the main criteria to choose a camera is what you need it for. This would include the type/size of prints that you might make, the type of photography, etc...

For the average photographer, a 3-5 MP camera is actually more than enough (just like a car, not everyone would need a Ferrari engine in their car). The amount of zoom you need would depend on your type of photography preference. If you are more into group photos or landscape, a wide angle lens (28mm) is nice, if not, the average camera would start at 35-38mm at the lowest end of the zoom, and this sufficient for most users.

Even the shapes of the cameras are different, the S70 is meant to be more streamlined than the boxy A95 (something like a station wagon versus a coupe), which you can obviously see in the difference between the Sxx/Sxxx-series and A-xx series.

What you'll need to do is to justify whether do you need to spend the extra $150 for the extra 2 MPs and wideangle lens at the expense of the swivel LCD and use of AAs.

I'd say if you don't make too many big prints, the A95 would be better value, but it won't be as stylish as the S70.

Do look at other brands for comparison as well. You can also look at ultrazooms (8x-12x) if size is not too much of an issue.

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:03 PM   #5

Thank you for your reply Thon.We do take quite a few landscape pictures on vacation, but also take macro stills of flowers, and othernature shots. I rarely take any "action" pictures, but I would like this capability. Wehave a Canon EOSthat we currently use, and I would still take this camera on vacations for the "complex" shots. I want a compact digital camera (it does not need to be an ultra-compact) ,andone that will be speedy. I like the option of the 28mm focal length in the S70. We have rarely taken a photograph that we personally deem worthy of an 11x14 enlargement, but then we have viewed lots of professional photos and are hard on ourselves. But, anyway, we make enlargements infrequently.

I have seen the Canon S60, but have not seen the S70; I am assuming they are very similar in body size/layout, except the S70 is black and I think may have a larger LCD. Has anyone physically held/seen the S70? I am also considering the Casio Exilim EX-Z55 and the Canon PowerShot G5, but have not physically seen either of these.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:40 PM   #6

I played withthe S70 for a bit, seemed solid.
A little bigger than I was looking for but if you are considering the A95, then the size of the S70 shouldn't be an issue for you.
I dislike clamshell design cameras or I might have gotten it.
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 6:28 AM   #7

That was the only thing I DIDN'T like about the S60 - the size. I do like the clamshell design; I think it protects the lens better than the "eyelid" design that some have (like the Casio Exilim Pro). I will admit I am taken by some of the disigns of the smaller digitals - like the Casio exilim EX-Z55, and some of the Sony's - they are very compact and "cute". I don't want to make my final desision based on size alone though.