Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 23, 2004, 8:00 AM   #1

in others topics from others guys that ask for the difference between the a95 and g6 for example, some guys says that g6 have more manual function than a95, I understand that is a better camera, but if you are a amateur and you want to start in serius photos the a95 isn't a good choice? It has Aperture priority andShutter priority andhas too the same size of ccdthat g6 ( in 5 mpx vs. 7mpx, the 7mpxhas more noise isn't it?Thank you very much!!!

chabonpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:22 AM   #2
Administrator

chabonpp wrote:
Quote:
in others topics from others guys that ask for the difference between the a95 and g6 for example, some guys says that g6 have more manual function than a95, I understand that is a better camera, but if you are a amateur and you want to start in serius photos the a95 isn't a good choice? It has Aperture priority andShutter priority andhas too the same size of ccdthat g6 ( in 5 mpx vs. 7mpx, the 7mpxhas more noise isn't it?
Well, even though the 7MP 1/1.8" CCD has smaller photosites compared to the 5MP 1/1.8" CCD, most tests show the noise levels to be a bit lower with this new CCD (the opposite of what you'd expect). Whether this is CCD Design improvements (or simply the way the camera is processing the image) is unknown to me.

I'd look at what kind of photos you want to take, and the features you actually need. For example, the G6 does have a hot shoe for an external flash, and also has a much brighter lens (f/2.0 at wide angle, only stopping down to f/3.0 at full zoom).

But, if you're not taking a lot of existing light photos (where the much brighter lens of the G6 would be a big advantage) and don't need the ability to add an external flash, then you may not find these differences important.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:26 AM   #3

G6 is a high-end prosumer camera (at least in the low-zoom category)... A95 is a good camera to start off with, I think...

Anyway, one key advantage that the G6 has is that its aperature goes from F2.0, which is very good, compared to the F2.8 for the A95...

It also can shoot in raw mode, which photographers supposedly prefer...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 1:08 PM   #4

thank you very much! both of you, the problem is that one is double expensivethen the other
Old Nov 23, 2004, 1:26 PM   #5

yeah... you can also consider ultra-zooms, which are a different type of camera but are photographer oriented... for example, I bought the Canon S1 IS, which isn't that expensive (you can consider competitors like Panasonic FZ3, or Konica Minolta Z3, or stuff like that)... ultra-zooms generally don't have pics that look as good (as low-zoom) and have lower megapixels for a given price...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 1:42 PM   #6
Administrator

chabonpp wrote:
Quote:
...one is double expensivethen the other
It's lens is also twice as bright at wide angle, with even more difference when using zoom (f/2.0 is twice as bright as f/2.8 ). So,you'd have available shutter speeds that are twice fast or faster forany given ISO Speed, Aperture and Lighting Condition.If you need to take photos indoors without a flash, you'd have a chance of getting some in normal room lighting with the G6 at higher ISO speeds in conditions that you may get motion blur with the A95.

Both will have more noise as ISO speeds are increased, but there are some good tools to reduce it's appearanceto a point (for example: Neat Image, Noiseware and Noise Ninja).

You could use lower ISO speeds with the G6 (for less noise) getting shutter speeds just as fast or faster as the A95 would need a higher ISO speed to achieve in the same conditions. Or, you could get shutter speeds twice as fast with the same ISO speeds on the G6 (to help reduce motion blur at indoor events where you'll be outside of the flash range or can't use a flash).

If you're going to use a flash indoors, and stay within the range of the built in flash, the A95 would befine. But, if you need better low light performance (as well as the ability to add an external flash), then the G6would be a better choice.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 3:00 PM   #7

Any of you knows the fuji e550, I saw the dpreview review and wrotes that is good camera too, I need the opinion of someone that have more experience that me. thanks again!

Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:11 PM   #8

The best way, I believe, is to get the balance for the needs vs performance/features vs price.

It's a difficult task, but the list of pros and cons as well as the minor "cons" that you can live with/get around will help tremendously.

If you already have some experience with photography, and would like something with more controls the G6 (and other prosumer models) will be the better choice.

However, as a beginner or amateur, the A95 (and other similarly featured compacts and some ultrazooms) will be better, as it allows you to learn the basics while not breaking the bank.

The other advantage is that the camera will be a great backup should you upgrade to a more powerful prosumer/dSLR in the future (and many actually fail to notice this, and presume that the newer models will make the old one obsolete).

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote