Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:58 AM   #11

michaelsko wrote:
Quote:
I read a couple of reviews of both of these cameras and now I really prefer the FZ3, because after all this is a camera, not a VIDEO camera, and the picture quality is the most important feature. The only thing that stops me is the high price, given that this is my first REAL digital camera. (I'm an unfortunate owner of an Aiptek DV3100, talk about bad picture quality and the ability to focus )
If you are going to get a camera and are going to use it a lot (most people do with their first camera), I think spending more on a good camera is ok.

If pic quality is what you are after, I don't think you can beat the Panasonic FZ3--especially its F2.8 aperature throughout 12x zoom. The Fujis and the Olympuses may have better colour, or better contrast, or something, but nothing can beat the F2.8 image stabilized 12x capability.

(On the dollar front, I think the Panasonic will cost a little bit more (on top of the 20% you are talking about). It uses proprietory batteries and you will likely have to pay another $50, or whatever, for an extra one)
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 4:21 AM   #12

Why would I need an extra battery?
I will use the camera mostly at home or near home, I never go on long trips so I always have access to a PC (to download the pictures) and to electricity.
michaelsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:50 AM   #13

michaelsko wrote:
Quote:
Why would I need an extra battery?
I will use the camera mostly at home or near home, I never go on long trips so I always have access to a PC (to download the pictures) and to electricity.
C'mon, sooner or later you are gonna┬*go far away from you door home.....an extra battery could be useful - but not always - I bought my FZ10 eight months ago, I've not got and extra battery yet because I am used to using the viewfinder in long trips since the camera autonomy is increased twice (I think). Maybe you could do the same whenever and┬*wherever┬*it is needed. :-)

BTW, I also recommend you the FZ3 over the S1 (soft images) - forget about the movie mode, any of the hundred MiniDV cams┬*beats the S1 - if you wanna record movies - go for a cheap and tiny Minidv camcorder....:idea:

┬*

┬*

┬*

┬*

┬*
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 7:27 AM   #14
PvB

Regarding the AF assist: I don't think having an AF assist built into the camera is a must. There are small, portable lights available (some serve as key chains), some ofwhich may be more powerful than a built-in assist lamp. A small torch should do fine, I think.

Regarding batteries: The Panasonic FZ3uses power packs whilest the S1 uses AA batteries. AA batteries are more widely available and are cheaper. According to reviews of cameras the AAs last longer (especially if you buy 2000mAh or higher capacity batteries). 550 or so pictures for the S1 (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_.../s1is_pg3.html), compared to around 260 pictures fora Panasonic FZ3 using power packs (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/fz3_pg2.html).

Ithinkthe difference in picture quality between the S1 and the FZ3 isminor. Having said that, I don't understand why many people go gaga (:shock when they see what an FZ3can produce and only go hmm (:O)when they see what the S1 can do.

I would be happy with either one if only picture quality counted.For the best quality (natural colours) film is still the best (though that may change).

For more zoom there are always add-on lenses (as well as scopes/monoculars such as the CrystalVue LX).The picture below is taken from http://www.ckcpower.com/cvlxlens.htm.For you, michaelsko,I don't think that you'll be needing accessories for increasing zoom (yet).

PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:27 AM   #15

PvB wrote:
Quote:
Ithinkthe difference in picture quality between the S1 and the FZ3 isminor. Having said that, I don't understand why many people go gaga (:shock when they see what an FZ3can produce and only go hmm (:O)when they see what the S1 can do.
Disagree with you.....differences in image quality are not minor or marginal.

The S1 offers too soft images, as you can notice on the picture below.

Both were taken fromDcresource.com - 100%crop

Attached Images

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:49 AM   #16
PvB

I see what you mean. Thing is, I never seriously compared images from the two cameras before. This is probably the 1st time that I am able to see the difference without goingbetween different webpages (thereby not being able to keep a clear image of one picture in my mind whilest looking at the other image).

I'm not buying a digicam yet coz I don't have the money. Seeing the difference in quality has given me another reason to wait (and see what new cameras come along).

Oh well:roll:
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:59 AM   #17

yeah... the S1 produces soft pics... Here is a comparison, courtesty dpreview.com review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz3/page6.asp

(note: For this test, dpreview supposedly didn't have the S1 on hand at the same time as the FZ3 so their comparisons aren't 100% comparable; usually dpreview.com DOES test all the cameras at the same time)...

If you can wait, you SHOULD! There are going to be some key additions that will be made--I'm not sure when. For instance, if Panasonic puts in [email protected] video then that would be an amazing camera... Companies like Canon may improve their focusing systems (which is very slow right now)... I think it'll be interesting to see what happens over the next year or so... I don't knwo if you can wait that long though...

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:36 AM   #18
PvB

I can wait. I have no choice, for now. Main reason: not enough money. I don't even have 100 euros to spend at the moment:sad:. I am not expecting a camera as a present: too expensive for most people.

I hope that Canon will make some radical changes in the 10x zoom and above catagory. If not,I'll go with a different manufacturer. When I'm ready to buy a digicam I hope I'll choose the best camera (for me) that will beavailable.

For now I think I'll have to make do with my dad's Olympus Camedia 2040 (unless he upgrades). I think that when he can afford it, he maygo for a good DSLR. An SLR is what he used to use, and he prefers that over all other cameras.

Just have to wait and see what the future holds.