Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:32 AM   #1

I am trying to decide which digital camera to buy. I would like a compact with some manual control. The Sony DSC V-1 has pretty good reviews, except the flash and battery life. I understand it has P.I.M. II technology enable, so as to get good color space, Epson RGB 2001. Anyone familiar with this? I like the specs on the Sony: CCD 1/1.8, ability to record TIFF, Carl Zeiss lens, decent zoom. Any other suggestions. Thanks, Maggie M.
MaggieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:54 AM   #2

I really really like it, been using it before I bought my canon SD300 even thou its kinda big for my hand bag.

Pictures were way sharper than my other cams, nice auto focus lock even in dim light. It is really not that big if compared with G6, and I find the manual setting not to difficult to understand. I didn't even try checking the manual.

Ching
Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:16 PM   #3

It's a good camera, but probably a bit out of date. The features are great, the holographic AF assist, night mode, etc.

You'd probably find that it has a slight shutter lag compared to the newer models.

But generally it's an excellent camera (and I've used a couple of my friends' V1s). If the price is good, then why not, it should service you well for the next few years.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 6:26 PM   #4

You can find it online for between $280 - $299. At that price its an amazing deal.

Keep in mind that most of the current reviews which are not very kind came out when it was first announced at its $699 price. Right now it is less than half of that in less than one year.

It blows away anything in that price point. The fact that it is yesterdays technology should not worry you, unless you want to make a fashion statement. Im amazed that the the big reviwers dont even include it in their holiday guide.. I mean both Steve and DC Resource have the Fuji E550 ($399) or the Konica Minolta DiMAGE G500 as one of the best camera below $400!!! Sony is still selling the DSC-V1 why not include it ?? What a joke..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:12 PM   #5

chrisdsa wrote:
Quote:
You can find it online for between $280 - $299. At that price its an amazing deal.

Keep in mind that most of the current reviews which are not very kind came out when it was first announced at its $699 price. Right now it is less than half of that in less than one year.

It blows away anything in that price point. The fact that it is yesterdays technology should not worry you, unless you want to make a fashion statement. Im amazed that the the big reviwers dont even include it in their holiday guide.. I mean both Steve and DC Resource have the Fuji E550 ($399) or the Konica Minolta DiMAGE G500 as one of the best camera below $400!!! Sony is still selling the DSC-V1 why not include it ?? What a joke..
At that price, I'll say it's the best bang for buck for any camera. Actually, Sony packed enough features to make this camera last at least 3-5 years without any actual need for an upgrade. (My friends are still using theirs and don't even plan to upgrade for the time being, and one of them had 4 digital cameras before the V1)

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 6:05 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for the encouraging information. I think I have almost made up my mind to buy the Sony V-1, for the money I don't think you can really beat it. Most cameras in this price range don't even include the ability to record in TIFF mode, although I have heard that the camera freezes for about 35 seconds recording in this mode. All in all, everyone seems to say it takes great pictures! Maggie M.
MaggieM is offline   Reply With Quote