Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:51 PM   #1

I am searching for my first digicam. I am disappointed by the lack of wide angle lenses. My top requirements are 28mm wide angle equivalent,a minimum of 4 megapixels, and fast shutter release response. Desirables include high optical zoom, diopter for the view finder, AF assist lamp and image stabilizer. Can you help? Thanks
Richard89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:48 PM   #2

Richard89 wrote:
Quote:
I am searching for my first digicam. I am disappointed by the lack of wide angle lenses. My top requirements are 28mm wide angle equivalent, a minimum of 4 megapixels, and fast shutter release response. Desirables include high optical zoom, diopter for the view finder, AF assist lamp and image stabilizer. Can you help? Thanks
Usually image stabilization and high zoom are only available on the ultra-zooms (10x zoom+). Of course there are exceptions but roughly that's the case. The compacts and general low-zoom cameras generally don't have image stabilization because it doesn't make much difference anyway... BUT, the thing with ultra-zooms is that they have high wide-angle. You really need to go with a low-zoom camera for a low wide-angle (although, you can obviously attach extra wide-angle lens on the ultra-zooms but that is not as good and I'm not sure if you want to do that).

It's hard to find 28mm wide-angle cameras. That is a pretty low number you are looking at. An example of one that is at 28mm is the Canon S60/S70 (but I'm not sure if this has the other features you need). Another is Fuji E500Zoom/E510. I'm sure there are quite a few more...

You can also look at the high-end prosumer cameras, which generally have all the features you might want. Examples of those having 28mm wide-angle include Canon Powershot Pro1, and Konica Minolta Dimage A2. But these are expensive and it is questionable whether they are worth it...

You are better off buying a high-end general low-zoom camera (eg. Canon G6, Sony V3) and attaching a wide-angle lens I think--or buy a mid-end low-zoom camera and attach a wide-angle lens. I'm not sure if you will hit your 28mm goal or how good it will be, but it's worth looking at...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote