Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:00 PM   #1
fh

I am decided on a DSLR now and I am about to make my move on the new Black Rebel. Price is exactly identical to the D70 as the D70 has a new $100 rebate. Even If was going for the Silver Rebel (the internet discounted one) the difference will only be $130. I have mixed feeling about buying Nikon again as my 995 collapsed on me couple times (battery door don't close anymore, Automatic setting not accessible,..) However, I feel that the Canon may not be as rugged as the D70, and I am a little rough with things..I am looking to take lot of kid pictures and portrait, good amount of indoor pictures, no sport, standard outside pictures..

I also don't plan on spending tones of cash on extra lense especially in the next six months so the regular kit option will be my first choice.

Which of the two camera would you recommend? Thanks a lot.

fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:08 PM   #2

I will make this short and simple!! D70 is superior to Drebel in ALMOST all areas. Build quality, spec, features. in fact the only area where the canon gets a sniff is in actual image quality where they are equal!!
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:36 PM   #3

You should check out the DSLR forums for more informed opinion but anyway...

yeah, as mweb mentions, this isn't even a contest... the Nikon D70 is supposed to be WAY better than the Canon 300D Rebel... the D70 is supposed to be between the Canon Rebel and the Canon 20D. If you can afford it, it is certainly better than the Rebel (I don't know much about DSLRs so take my opinion with that in mind)... also, arey ou sure they are the same price? It seems hard to believe how they can be the same price :?: You are not comparing Rebel lens+body vs D70 body only, or something like that, are you?

Having said all that, do keep in mind that with DSLRs, you are making an investment in the lens and camera SYSTEM as opposed to the camera itself! You are basically deciding to go with Canon or Nikon. You will likely spend more on lens than the body of a DSLR. Which one do you like better? Which one do you expect to use in 2 years? You will likely buy good lens once and then simply replace the body every few years or whatever...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 3:31 PM   #4
fh

Thank you both. Price wise, you are correct I read too fast. Body to body or kit to kit = $ 300 difference. Definitely not the same price range neither build construction. I happened to have stopped at RitzCamera after my posting and quickly appreciated the difference. My remaining dilema is now to assess if I am ready to spend 300 more for a better camera. I also have an eye on a used 10D for $880 ...not a bad deal either...Arrrghh decision decision......thx for your insight..
Old Nov 25, 2004, 5:41 PM   #5

Have you thought about the future and what sort of lenses you will be buying in 2 years? That should be a key consideration...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 6:43 PM   #6

Have you also had a look at the Olympus EVOLT and the new Pentax dSLR coming out. They all want to compete with the Nikon D70 at its same price point. There is also the Minolta Maxxum slightly more than the Nikon D70.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:49 AM   #7

When comparing the kits, notice that the 18-70 offered with the D70 is no bargain entry-level lens, but offers USM (fast AF), very good image quality and ruggedness (thought not like professionnal range). The D70 is far more rugged too!

in short, the D70 is more expensive, but in my opinion, you get more "bang for the bucks".

If you don't wanna spend 1500$ for a Canon 20D, there is no hesitation: D70:-)
Janus_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:39 PM   #8
fh

Thx Janus. I am leaning more towards the D70 now although 18month free financing at Circuit city is also making me wonder if I should not just go with the 20D...

But then, the kit lense is not as good as with the D70 which means I need to add more $ to get extra lenses right away....decision decision...

One thing to consider to is that it will be my first SLR and I probably don't need all the manual settings right away. However the speed of the 20D and the Canon lenses that I could add later on are clearly a + to me..

Future lenses wise, is it better to stay with Canon? Since it is my first SLR I don't need to stick with a brand since I currently don't ownlenses....

Oh well, will appreciate your views. Thanks for your help.