Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2004, 6:26 PM   #1

not terribly concerned about price. i use a pentax optio s right now, love the form factor. the pictures are good enough most of the time. i would like a compact camera (like the s60 or p150 size is fine) but i want it to be *FAST*. power on fast, shoot fast, lag between shots short. the p150 is pretty zippy from what i've seen but i still want something better.
astroglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:44 PM   #2

The Canon SD300 is pretty quick. From Steve's review:
"Shooting performance was very robust. Power up to first image captured measured approx. 1.5 seconds. The all-important shutter lag averaged 1/10 of a second when pre-focused and 3/10 of a second including autofocus time. When shooting in single exposure mode, the shot-to-shot time measured about 1.4 seconds without the flash and 2 - 3 seconds with the flash. Using its continuous exposure mode, I was able to capture 26 frames in only 10.3 seconds, surpassing Canon's claim of 2.4 fps. Our test were done using a Sandisk Ultra II 512MB SD card, Manual mode, Large/SuperFine quality, preview off, flash off, and all other settings at default (unless otherwise noted.) Times may vary depending on lighting conditions, camera settings, media, etc."

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:47 PM   #3

thanks for the pointer. is there anyplace i can reference startup and between-shot times for a large list of current, reviewed cameras?
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:49 PM   #4

astroglide wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the pointer. is there anyplace i can reference startup and between-shot times for a large list of current, reviewed cameras?
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"Not that I know of. Imaging Resource has a page like this for all of their reviews: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...s1-IS-DATA.HTM It is easier to compare cameras than wading through Steve's conclusions, but Steve gets his reviews out sooner. There isn't a page like that for the SD300 for example because Dave hasn't gotten around to reviewing it. Steve also keeps every camera he ever reviewed inhis list where Dave sorts them into current and non-current models – easier to find stuff.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:02 PM   #5

Just ran into a similar discussion on another board. Someone said this is the fastest available with a 1 second startup to shoot time and 0.12 shutter delay including autofocus. They don't mention shot-to-shot time, so it probably isn't that great. Movies are also really crappy: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0403/04...ohcapliorx.asp

Steve did test the GX, which is almost as fast. Startup and shutter delay is fast but the shot to shot times are poor – especially with flash: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...caplio_gx.html

Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:45 PM   #6

it is definitely very fast, about 2 seconds shot to shot time with flash.

Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 1:21 AM   #7

I am also looking for a fast digital. I'm looking at ultra compact, but I think this camera would be in the running for one of the fastest. I posted this is another thread. This camera is not shipping yet but should be very soon. These claims are also from the manufacturer. It is also only 4MP.

The Contax U4R provides high speed continuous shooting up to a maximum 3.3 frames per second up to the full capacity of memory card ( *1) at the highest resolution, thanks to Kyocera's RTUNE image processing system. Even during continuous shooting, the LCD monitor displays in real time. The Contax U4R starts up in less than 0.9 seconds and features a shutter lag time of approx. 0.07 seconds ( *2), giving the camera the title of being one of the fastest performing cameras available. The performance of the Contax U4R also eliminates the stress that photographers endured in the past caused by waiting for the camera to start up or being able to capture an image at any moment due to long shutter lag time. The U4R is ready when you are to seize the exact moment and capture images at anytime without fail.

waxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 2:28 PM   #8

are dslrs completely rapid-fire?
Old Nov 26, 2004, 8:25 PM   #9

astroglide wrote:
Quote:
not terribly concerned about price.
Nikon D2h...but I imagine that you might be concerned about the $3000+ price tag for the body alone.:blah:
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 8:45 PM   #10

yeah by not concerned i mean i will go from like 400-1200