Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2004, 3:24 PM   #1

I am trying to decide if the extra 70 bucks for the fz20 is worth it. I also looked at little at the fz15 but i want to be able to use external flashes. My current setup is an analog SLR camera with a film scanner. I occasionally print out poster size prints, 11x16 is probably the biggest, so the extra megapixel might be nice. Can someone list the main differences between the cameras andsome input as to which one is more suited? Oh, and I'm on a very tight budget, so if I got the fz20 I would have to hold out on getting accessories for a while, if that makes any difference.
BoaRd bRYce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2004, 6:06 PM   #2

FZ20 is newer so I would get that (while the FZ10 is older tech)...

Here is a side-by-side comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...cfz20&show=all

From glancing at that, key differences are:

* US$600 for FZ20 vs $537
* 5MP vs 4 megapixels
* 7 meter flash vs 4meter for FZ10 (not sure how reliable this figure is)
* FZ20 has raw output mode (TIFF)

hmm... I think that's about it... FZ20 may use newer processor or have better software bundle but I'm not sure... you are basically paying for 1 more megapixel, as you mentioned...

BTW, FZ10 has flash hot-shoe as well it seems...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 6:11 PM   #3

FZ-20's processor is suposed to reduce the "Purple Fringing" according to some reviews. Its faster, although, probably not enough to notice. The 1MP difference is also very small.
I think www.dcresource.com covered the differences fairly well.
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 9:16 PM   #4

Well, I own an FZ10 as you've noticed by my avatar.

IMO differences between FZ10 and FZ20 are marginal........the image quality must be the most important feature in a camera, and the FZ10offersexcelent, sharp and clear images at Iso 50 - even also cleaner than FZ20 a bit noiser at Iso 80.

Both OIS Modes work great on my FZ10, however I've heard the OIS on the FZ20 does not work fine to take night shots ( it's better to turn the OIS off)

Thebuilt-in flash on the FZ20 is stronger (7mts) as mentioned Sivaram....but the FZ10 has hot-shoe, so no problem - you can add an external flash.

The FZ10 saturates colors a bit better, IMO.

Additional features on the FZ20:

- Assistan lamp

- Faster shutter lag, shot to shot lag and also faster autofocus.....but again, differences are marginal....you are not gonna notice them, - maybe only the autofocus - use the manual focus, instead.

- Venus Engine II - great - though a bit noisy, it perfoms a great job on the purple fringing or CA.

- Just One more MP

- Tiff

- Improved Grip,

and nothing else,If your budget is tight, I suggestgoing for the FZ10 - you can save almost $130 - and buy some additional accesories......as a higher capacity card.

Have in mind, that both are awesome cameras...but I think in the image quality department, differences are almost unnoticeable.....so I'd spend around $400 for the camera (at Amazon.com) and get a 512 SD card with the remainder.:idea:
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:16 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna go with the fz10, mostly because I want to get some filters and maybe a macro lens right away. Also I heard that there is a voltage limit on the hot shoe and if you use older flashes with higher voltages you can damage the camera. Can someone exlpain this? I have an old flash I've been using for years, do I need to upgrade?
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:25 AM   #6

BoaRd bRYce wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna go with the fz10, mostly because I want to get some filters and maybe a macro lens right away. Also I heard that there is a voltage limit on the hot shoe and if you use older flashes with higher voltages you can damage the camera. Can someone exlpain this? I have an old flash I've been using for years, do I need to upgrade?
Where did you hear that??? I also use a very old external flash Vivitar.......I have not had any problem so far, but what you typed its a worry.

:shock:

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 3:19 PM   #7

Panasonicwrote:
Quote:
I've tested several flash units, some more than 20 years old. From that era, the contact voltage usually exceeded the spec we now use. While the flash didn't fire, it should be noted that no damageoccurred.
I found this while searching for where I saw that you could damage your camera by using old flashes. I never did find where I saw that, but I guess it wasn't true.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23