Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:30 PM   #11
Administrator

PhilR. wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
A model like the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 does have it's advantages over the Konica-Minolta Z3
I think the FZ20 is a great idea, but I doubt that one would find one at or under the $400 requirement. The FZ3 can, but doesn't have a hotshoe. I think that the only Panasonic that will meet the hotshoe/cost requirement would be the FZ10.

Phil
True. The DMC-FZ20 isrunning closer to$500.00 from some of the reputable vendors (ignoring the ones that are probably scam artists):

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Panaso..._FZ20~S-P~OR-0

From reading his original post, it sounds like the DMC-FZ20 is the only Panasonic he considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy B
So far I've looked at the S1, the Dimage, the Oly 750 UZ, and the Panasonic FZ 20.
His line on Proprietary Batteries (and comments that he's already considered it) also implies that this is the only reason he doesn't want it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy B
3. Must not use proprietary batteries (Dang that Panasonic...)
So, given it's benefits (better flash range with the built in flash, brighter lens, more detail, etc.), it makes sense to me to compromise on the battery type (and he'd probably appreciate the benefits of a single Lithium Ion battery versus fumbling with multiple AA's, once he used a camera equipped this way).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 7:52 PM   #12

PhilR. wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
A model like the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 does have it's advantages over the Konica-Minolta Z3

I think the FZ20 is a great idea, but I doubt that one would find one at or under the $400 requirement. The FZ3 can, but doesn't have a hotshoe. I think that the only Panasonic that will meet the hotshoe/cost requirement would be the FZ10.

Phil
There is also the FZ15, although it isn't widely available it seems (I'm not sure what's up wit hthe FZ15--is that a real mainstream model?)
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:06 PM   #13
Administrator

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
There is also the FZ15, although it isn't widely available it seems (I'm not sure what's up wit hthe FZ15--is that a real mainstream model?)
Well, Panasonic decided to leave out the Hot Shoe (which he wanted) on the DMC-FZ15. They also left out the microphone (so, no sound with video). Personally, I wouldn't use the video (but some users might want to).

But, the DMC-FZ15does have a reasonably powerful internal flash (up to about 23 feet with Auto ISO -- less if you set ISO speed lower, more if ISO speed is set higher).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote