Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:50 AM   #1

Hi,

I have decided that its time to get a better camera. I had initially toyed with the idea of a D70, and had initially asked which one for bigger prints and the EOS20 was mentioned.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...59&forum_id=87

I have played with the D70 and liked it.

Here is what i want to use it for:
I shoot mostly nature and people, architecture while travelling, backpacking etc. No studio and very little indoor stuff.
I previously spend many years using a (now dead) Minolta X700 and then in addition a Dimage 7i which I lugged thru the himalyas, the gobi desert, the american west etc. Thus ruggedness and durability is a plus (you wont believe what my x700 has been thru). The same goes for long battery life.

I plan on blowing the shots up quite a bit to display them, so I guess noise and MP is an issue. I do not want to spend more than $1500 on a body and already have acouple GB of memory cards.

In the long run I plan to buy a film SLR of the same system I as a backup or for "high res" shots.

I also scuba dive with my Nikonos 5 which is getting a bit pricy to maintain. Thus something that performs well UW in a housing would also be good.

So which of these 2 cameras is a better fit for my needs? Or maybe there is a third choice? So far I am not vested in any system with lenses (well, except for my old minolta gear). I read other posts on this site and it looks sometimes like a religious debate. Maybe somebody has used both extensively and can compare?

For travels I would like get away with 1 maybe 2 lenses, which ones would you guys recommend?

thanks!

runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:22 AM   #2

I'm asking myself the same question, thus I have some elements of response :

First notice that Ikelite builds nice uw housing for D70 or for 20D

20D is 8MP (D70 only 6): it could help a bit for cropping/big prints (by the way, 35mm well scanned is much better for that purpose, so if u can forsee that THIS landscape will hang on your wall, take it with the spare film body)

20D seems to have lower noise on hi-iso (when viewing picsof the reviews) could anyone confirm ???

D70 flash sync up to1/500 s great for fill-in flash (portrait in sunny environement), vs sluggish 1/200 for 20D. D70 got great built-in flash featuring i-TTL.

By buying a canon or nikon DSLR, you enter 2 different lens systems. It's a bigger issue for later you'll change the bodies, the lenses (if good) will stay... I slightly favor Nikon on that point : equal image quality, ruggedness (on that point, avoid entry-level plastic crap, even from nikon),pearls onused market makes good prices...
  1. the 18-70 DX USM zoom sold in a kit with the D70for less than 300$ gives very good image quality and is quite nikon-likerugged. great bang-for-the-buck [/*]
  2. The 17-55 f2,8 is superb, for image quality as for ruggedness (basing on legendary nikon pro-line ruggedness) [/*]
  3. Used 70-210 f4,5-5,6 AF-D's like mine gives very good image quality (much better than new consumer 70-300's), correct AF and sells 150-300$ [/*]
  4. even pro's80-200 f2,8 AF-D can be fould used for 800$ if u need more light... exceptionnal image quality, exceptionnal ruggedness... exceptionnal weight:sad:
You'll get quite the same with Canon's 17-40 F4and I don't know wich used tele-zoom... except the 17-40 costs a lot, and is less tele, maybe forcing you to change lenses more often... 18-85 IS (stabilized) is an option. But I'd rather have a f2,8 non IS and I don't know how good and rugged it is.

if like me the 24mm equivalent is dear to you, the x1,6 factor of D20 will push you to a very costy 16-35 f2,8... and what do u do between eq 50 and 120???

for film backup you'll choose
[/*]
  1. an old nikon FM: compact, rugged, works even without batteries!!! [/*]
  2. a rugged F801 S for AF [/*]
  3. my F90 for a newer model [/*]
  4. an heavy F4 for unbreakable pro, AF model. Weights a ton.[/*]
beware of Nikon mount compatibility: 18-70, like allDX, isn't fully compatible with 35mm format (same issue with canons dedicated for 300D/20D, and u can't even mount them on 35mm body), and "G" lenses don't have aperture ring: the 35mm body must be able to set it itself. Taking an old rugged body and a 28mm, or anon-DX, non-Gwide-zoom solves those problems.

Any opinion on hi-iso noise performance, D70 vs 20D, is warmly welcome:-)
Janus_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 2:48 PM   #3

I too am looking to upgrade cameras. For SLR, I have a X-700 and for Digital I have a Olympus C-3040. I love my digital but the major drawback is the optical zoom capability, andbecause of this I want to upgrade to a D-SLR.

I was going to get the D70, but with the release of the EOS-20 I am curious if Nikon will release something to counter the new Cannon camera.
Michael1041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:13 PM   #4

There's rumors of a D200 to replace the D100, but the D70 is so good and such a hit that they're delaying it, for it would spoil the commercial succes of the D70...
Janus_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 3:41 PM   #5

The 20D is the next "snack bracket" up over a D70.

However, if you're looking at a 20D, budget another $700 for a serious lens. Total kit price would be about $2,000.

The D70 is a nice camera but I don't like Nikon's dark, tunnel vision viewfinders. You can go with the basic kit lens but why put a $100 lens on a $1,000 camera?

The whole point of a D-SLR is to be able to use different lenses for different projects. You might end up spending far more for lenses than for the camera body itself.

Consider the lense you'd really like to useas well as the camera body in your purchasing considerations.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:26 PM   #6
NHL

Janus_80 wrote:
Quote:
D70 flash sync up to 1/500 s great for fill-in flash (portrait in sunny environement), vs sluggish 1/200 for 20D.
You're refering to X-sync speed here... in the FP mode the 20D can sync to any higher shutter speed for sunny portrait!

... I agree with everyone though that the lens system stays, but bodies comes and goes (more so with digital)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:45 PM   #7

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
The D70 is a nice camera but I don't like Nikon's dark, tunnel vision viewfinders. You can go with the basic kit lens but why put a $100 lens on a $1,000 camera?
What do you mean by this?
Michael1041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 3:05 PM   #8
Administrator

Janus_80 wrote:
Quote:
There's rumors of a D200 to replace the D100, but the D70 is so good and such a hit that they're delaying it, for it would spoil the commercial succes of the D70...

We expect to hear about the D200 (or whatever Nikon calls it) by the PMA 2005 show in February. We all know it is coming - the D100 is a great camera but it is growing cobwebs (2+ years old now) and there's so many new things that Nikon can put in a newer camera to bettercompete against Canon's 20D. Anyway, it won't be too much longer before we find out ...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 3:19 PM   #9

why not check out the olympus E1, traveling as much as you do it would suit your needs, full mag body and sealed as a splashproof design for the elements, also it has a neat CCD sensor self cleaning which keeps dust off the sensor, which you will get when changing lenses outdoors, for lens quality olympus zuiko are second to none on the market, i shoot with a 300mm for wildlife and find it sharper than my 50 - 200mm lens. as you do i spend many hours outdoors and have been to borneo with this camera, very hot and wet, humid, am going back for three months early next year and have no worries about my equipment. usually i print 11x14 prints from a pro lab, pictures always impress with crisp images, even stay sharp at 16x20 in jpeg at 2 meg file size.

have you ever shot with the canon ? shutter noise would drive me crazy and feels cheap, the D70, with all due respect you can do better, good luck.
pongop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:44 PM   #10

Michael1041 wrote:
Quote:
[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
What do you mean by this?
I'm not familiar with the lens, from waht I have heard the kit lens on the D70 is very nice. For the viewfinder comment, I hit my local camera store last week to handle some of the DSLR's and see what I thought, I found the viewfinder of the D70 to be very tunnel like. The 300D and 20D were both much nicer, and the Pentax *istD was better than both.

Good luck with your shopping, I am currently debating between the 300D and the ist*DS. As much as I like the 20D, I'd rather spend more money on the glass.

wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote