Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:07 PM   #1

I want an ultra compact camera and i think that im between canon sd300 and sony p100(or maybe p150).

What i want is the best possible picture quality , and also
1)good performance in low light situations ( not blurry pics cause of low shutter speed , and not dark pictures ). I ve heard that sony generally has these problems, dont know of p100-p150 especially.
2)not to have blurness in fast action pictures.

thanks.
george_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:39 PM   #2
Administrator

The shutter speed you will be able to achieve will depend on 3 factors:

Lighting Level, ISO speed, and Lens Brightness (maximum aperture available at any given focal length).

So, if you're not using a flash (or want to take photos outside of the flash range), you will be limited as to what you can expect from a compact digital camera. See this thread for more details:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:56 PM   #3

very interesting article , indeed :-)

Well what about dark colours?I took some night pics with low light ( not 100 % dark but low light , outside ) and they were extremely dark! this was with the dsc-t1 from sony..they were very dark..It was me and big ben(london) behind me and i almost couldnt see big ben..and it wasnt so dark i must admit..

maybe the canon model may help me more about this?
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:08 PM   #4
Administrator

george_ wrote:
Quote:
very interesting article , indeed :-)

Well what about dark colours?I took some night pics with low light ( not 100 % dark but low light , outside ) and they were extremely dark! this was with the dsc-t1 from sony..they were very dark..It was me and big ben(london) behind me and i almost couldnt see big ben..and it wasnt so dark i must admit..
What you think is "not so dark" is very dark to a camera. Even in "well lit" interiors indoors, you'll need to use a flash and stay within the stated flash range with most cameras. Otherwise, you'll need to use a tripodto prevent motion blur from camera shake.

Outside at night, light will be much lower. So,much longer exposures willbe needed.Depending on the model, you may also need to disable the flash to allow for longer exposures (otherwise, the camera assumes that you'll be taking a photo of a subject within the flash range and will set the shutter speed faster).

The T1 is limited to a maximum exposure of 1 second (and it's flash range is only about 6 feet). You could try disabling the flash and using a tripod with it (but, 1 second may not be a long enough exposure in many outdoor lighting conditions at night).

Old Nov 27, 2004, 3:08 PM   #5

hm i must admit that i didnt know about the long-exposure term.

What does this mean?

Is there any control in the ultracompact cams that will help me adjust the exposure time?

I never heard of the exposure time.

Sorry if what i said seems stupid but im pretty new to all this stuff
Old Nov 27, 2004, 3:16 PM   #6

What i see is that i need manual adjustment of aperture range and shutter speed , in order to achieve better exposures in difficult circumctances.

Unfortunately the sd300 from canon doesnt offer me this.I cant adjust aperture range neither shutter speed( maybe by switching from mode to mode , but i dont know this ) .

I think P100 and P150 offer Shutter speed adjustment.

Any other ultracompacts that give me the ability to do this ?
Old Nov 27, 2004, 3:21 PM   #7
Administrator

george_ wrote:
Quote:
hm i must admit that i didnt know about the long-exposure term.

What does this mean?
By long exposure, I mean how long the shutter remains open.

Yes, many cameras will let you adjust it, and the available shutter speeds are usually in a camera's specifications. Many compact digital cameras will allow exposures of up to about 15 seconds.

The Sony models you're now considering (P1xx series) will allow exposures of up to 30 seconds in a manual mode (where you tell the camera how long to expose the image). The Canon SD300 you're looking at will allow exposures of up to 15 seconds (which is more than adequate for most cityscapes, etc.). But, exposures this long will require a tripod.

For ordinary use (not exposures outside at night under dim lighting), you'll want to remain within the flash range indoors, or use a tripod to prevent motion blur from camera shake with most compact models (but using a tripod won't help blur from subject movement if you're photographing people).

So, check out the flash range of models you consider carefully by reading their specifications(or buy a model that's capable of using an external flash).

Old Nov 27, 2004, 3:29 PM   #8
Administrator

george_ wrote:
Quote:
What i see is that i need manual adjustment of aperture range and shutter speed , in order to achieve better exposures in difficult circumctances.
Most models are going to use the largest available aperture in low light anyway. So, being able to adjust both is not mandatory.

Quote:
Unfortunately the sd300 from canon doesnt offer me this.I cant adjust aperture range neither shutter speed( maybe by switching from mode to mode , but i dont know this )
It's got a Long Shutteroption that you can turn on (which allows exposures of up to 15 seconds).

Quote:
I think P100 and P150 offer Shutter speed adjustment.
Yes, up to 30 seconds.

Quote:
Any other ultracompacts that give me the ability to do this ?
Most will probably have some kind of feature for long exposures (but check each one carefully to make sure). The T1 is an exception (only allowing a maximum exposure of 1 second).

Old Nov 27, 2004, 3:34 PM   #9

okay thanks very very much for your help!I think im gonna stick to the sd300..although it has some problems i must admit.. i hope it satisfies me

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"A last question to you , if you can answer it of course.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"A friend of mine bought from tokyo a canon ixy digital 4 megapixels,thats how it is called..Is this the Canon s410 one?Or it is not similar with a european/us model?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"thanks again:-)
Old Nov 27, 2004, 3:36 PM   #10

mm sorry for these "background" stuff that came out , no idea why they came out!:P