Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:18 PM   #1

I'm getting a DSLR for my wife for xmas. Still deciding between the Canon Digital rebel and the Nikon D70...leaning towards the Nikon. She does a lot of scrapbooking with her photos and needs a date stamp to keep them chronilogical.. Here's my question.
Can either of these cameras keep track of the date they were taken? How do they do it? Can they print the date on the final print or is that a 3rd party software thing?
Thanks very much...
bugsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:32 PM   #2
Administrator

Virtually all modern digital cameras have a header in the images known as the EXIF. This header contains information about the camera settings used, and also includes the date and time the photo was taken.

Some printing software can use this date and time information for printing images (but I don't know if the software included with the Digital Rebel or Nikon D70 will or not).

In any event, I wouldn't let this one feature be a deciding factor for a camera.

QImage Pro can use any of the information from the EXIF when printing (including the date/time). You can also download a trial version to see if you like it.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

A free software package known as EXIFER can also date/time stamp your photos via it's Watermark feature, using the date and time stored in the EXIF (but make sure to work on copies, not your originals -- otherwise you may end up with date/time stamps you don't want to be seen on larger prints).

http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:00 PM   #3

Would you use QImage in place of the provided software for printing all of your photos then? I know nothing about digital photography, so this is a great help. This date stamp factor is the deal breaker in my camera decision. It's gotta be there.
Thanks again
bugsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:10 PM   #4
Administrator

QImage Pro is very good software, and does some things that other software can't. For example, it automatically resizes the photos using sophisticated interpolation algorithms to better match the printer you're using.

I don't use it personally, though (and also don't use any of the software that shipped with any cameras I've owned). But, many users thinkthat QImage Pro is the absolute best photo printing package you can buy.

I tend to use Epson Film Factory for some photos (I like it's "Album Pages" feature), and use HP's Photo Printing Software for some other things (it shipped with an HP Printer I once owned).

I recently bought a Canon Printer that shipped with Photo Printing Software, too (but I haven't tried it yet). Chances are, I'll continue to use Epson Film Factory or the HP Photo Printing Software for most purposes.

Basically, you've got hundreds (actually, probably thousands) of image editors available that can print photos, and many are even free.

Also, you can edit photos in one package, and print in another if one doesn't do everything you want it to. With a package like EXIFER, you can run it in batch mode to date/time stamp a group of photos at one time. Then, print using something else entirely (and the package you're printing from wouldn't need to have a date/time feature).

So, I wouldn't let this feature be a "deal breaker".
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:46 PM   #5

If she is really into photography, I would NOT get her a camera. See, the thing is, if she is really into it, she would want certain features that you may not be aware of. What you are doing is getting what YOU think is the best camera. But how do you know that she wants the same thing?

If this is NOT a surprise gift, either consult with her and ask her which camera SHE--not you--would want... or give her a gift card for the price of the camera or something...

If I had a girlfriend, I would not want her buying electronics/computer products/etc because I'm into that stuff and often I want something specific.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:37 PM   #6

You're a dad, you want to get your wife a camera. It's a reasonable conclusion that you want her to take picture of (probably fast-moving) kids. The Nikon's probably a better choice at this point.

If she doesn't like it, then I'm open to a proposal. Hehe. Would be a good idea to buy it from somewhere with good return privileges. (My wife might or might not like my other suggestion depending on her mood, but she basically happy with the DSLR I bought her
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote