Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2004, 5:56 PM   #1

I had pretty much decided on an FZ20 until discovering the FZ15 which is the same except it doesn't have a hotshoe and is 4 megapixel instead of 5. How important are these two things because the FZ15 is about $100 dollars cheaper. Also, because I've always just had point and shoot cameras, I have some concerns that this might be too much camera for me. Would appreciate any thoughts on the subject.
akmase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:07 PM   #2
Administrator

akmase wrote:
Quote:
I had pretty much decided on an FZ20 until discovering the FZ15 which is the same except it doesn't have a hotshoe and is 4 megapixel instead of 5. How important are these two things because the FZ15 is about $100 dollars cheaper. Also, because I've always just had point and shoot cameras, I have some concerns that this might be too much camera for me. Would appreciate any thoughts on the subject.
Well, it depends on how you use the camera. The range of built in flash of the DMC-FZ15 is pretty good (almost 23 feet using Auto ISO).

But, if you wanted more range (or used a lower ISO speed setting), then the hot shoe could come in handy. Depending on what flash you choose,bounce and swivel heads are available, diffusers to soften the light, etc.).

Each user will have different requirements in a camera. You'll need to decide if this feature is important.

As for Megapixels, there is not a lot of difference between 4 and 5 Megapixels. I wouldn't personally be concerned about this part.

If I'm not mistaken, the DMC-FZ15 doesn't offer video with sound. So, if you plan on using this feature (I wouldn't), then you'll want to take this into consideration, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 7:00 PM   #3

I really like the FZ15 image quality, the Iso 64 contributes to reduce the noise considerably....unlike the FZ20 that only let you set Iso 80 as minimum, which IMO is a high Iso for a 5MP camera with a small sensor (1/2.5"), thats why the noise on the FZ20 is noticeable...but have in mind that I do not undervalue the FZ20...it's also a great camera, maybe the best long zoom camera currently (along with FZ10....) but the noise is something I cant stand at low Isos.
What else, Jimc has mentioned all the differences between the FZ15 and FZ20.
Maybe, you can add to your list the FZ10...almost free noise at Iso 50, comes with hot shoe and the ability to record movie with sound.....and it's also cheaper than the F15. ($399.90 at amazon.com)
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote