Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:26 AM   #1

I dont know which one I have to take , pls HELP ME?
KING GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:41 AM   #2

Well, dont think about it too much.....new models get older extremely fast....when you decide your buy another new model will be placed on shelves.
IMO you should go for the FZ20, because of the awesome zoom and the very fast lens (f2.8 through the zoom range) unlike the Canon G6 whose aperture of 2.0 is only available at the maximun wide angle - once you zoom in to 39mm, the aperture drops to 3.2
Another issue to be considered is that the f8 stop on the FZ20 works really great without loss of sharpness, but if you download the sample images posted on this site of the G6 taken at f4 and f8, you will notice that shots taken at f8 stop look soft (lack of detail) G6 and Sony V3 share the same problem...
On the other side, the FZ20 has only 5MP vs the 7MP of the Canon G6...if you dont need big prints, this issue is not for you.

Thats all,
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:58 PM   #3

These cameras are in different classes so your decision will depend more on the type of pics you take, rather than the cameras themselves.

The G6 is a general (low-zoom) mid-end prosumer camera, while the FZ20 is an ultra-zoom. If you take pics that require zoom (eg. wildlife, sports, far-away objects, etc) the FZ20 is best; however, if you mostly plan to take close-up pics, or pics in tight areas (e.g. where low wide-angle would help), or indoors, then the G6 is likely much better.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 1:29 PM   #4
Administrator

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
IMO you should go for the FZ20, because of the awesome zoom and the very fast lens (f2.8 through the zoom range) unlike the Canon G6 whose aperture of 2.0 is only available at the maximun wide angle - once you zoom in to 39mm, the aperture drops to 3.2
Let's be fair....

The Canon's lens has a maximum available aperture of f/2.0 at wide angle (twice as bright as the Panasonic's lens at this focal length), and still has a maximum available aperture off/3.0 at full zoom.

I just finished looking through the EXIF information on some indoor G6 photos, and the lens only stops down to f/2.2 at around 50mm equivalent focal length, down to f/2.5 at around 81mm equivalent focal length, and still at f/2.8 at around 112mm equivalent focal length.

Also, the Canon's ISO sensitivity is about 2/3 stop faster than it's rated speed,giving it even more of an advantage in low light shooting of non-stationary subjects (stabilization won't help blur from subject movement).

It's noise levels are also relatively low as ISO speeds are increased, compared to many of the 5MP models (and it has an extra 2 Megapixels for 7 Megapixels total).

So, it's got it's advantages.

If you need an ultra zoom model, the Panasonic is hard to beat. But, for a more compact model, with pretty darn good low light ability (thanks to it's very bright lens), then the G6 would be on my short list.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 2:25 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I just finished looking through the EXIF information on some indoor G6 photos, and the lens only stops down to f/2.2 at around 50mm equivalent focal length, down to f/2.5 at around 81mm equivalent focal length, and still at f/2.8 at around 112mm equivalent focal length.
Ya, I made a horrible mistake, I described the aperture behaviour of the Sony V3.....really sorry...thanks for clarifying this issue JimC.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:01 PM   #6
Administrator

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
Ya, I made a horrible mistake, I described the aperture behaviour of the Sony V3.....really sorry...thanks for clarifying this issue JimC.
Believe me, I make my share of them, too... BTW, the Sony V3 lensstarts out at f/2.8.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, there are onlyfour non-discontinuedmodels (not counting DSLR models) that have a lens starting out at f/2.0: The Canon Powershot G6, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1, the Leica Digilux 2, and the Sony DSC-F828.

Of course, noise profiles will vary between these models (with the Sony likely having the highest noise as ISO speeds are increased).

Now, you can still find some of the discontinued models in new condition if you look around (for example the Sony DSC-F717). But, consumers don't have many choices now if they want/need a model with a brighter lens for lower light shooting of non-stationary subjects, unless they move up to a DSLR.

Of course, the DSLR models are vastly superior at this if you get a bright lens to go with one (thanks to their ability to use higher ISO speeds with lower noise). But, not everyone wants the cost/bulk associated with this type of solution, and noise reduction tools can help if someone wants a prosumer model instead.

A model like the G6 could shoot at shutter speeds using ISO 200, that are just as fast as most competiting models at ISO speeds of 400 or higher at wider focal lengths. So, it's got it's advantages for shooting in some conditions.

Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:37 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
BTW, the Sony V3 lens¬*starts out at f/2.8.
Sure, and when you zoom to 39mm, the aperture drops to f3.2

agree with you about the G6 capabilities, it's great for indoor shots.

As you pointed out, the FZ20 is hard to beat in the long zoom category, and also the G6 in the pro-sumer short zoom category.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:43 PM   #8
Administrator

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
BTW, the Sony V3 lensstarts out at f/2.8.
Sure, and when you zoom to 39mm, the aperture drops to f3.2
Probably... I just didn't want anyone to have the impression that it started out at f/2.0, since you mentioned f/2.0 to begin with when describing the G6, then explained that you were describing the aperture characterics of the V3 instead of the G6 (your originally description was really describing a combination ofboth models).

Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:50 PM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
(your originally description was really describing a combination of¬*both models)¬*
lol, I mixed both cameras....lol :-)