Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:48 AM   #1

I'm gonna buy a digital camera for christams..anyone can suggest me between this two camera??
sony v1 or sony w1?? or whatever between $300 and $400
Gnappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:14 PM   #2

I suggest going for the V1
It's full of manual controls, IR capabilities, hot shoe and also Iso 800...great!!! the V1 is definitvely over the W1
But within the price range that you can afford to pay, I'd really prefer to buy a long zoom camera, like mine (FZ10)
It has almost everything that I need and want....incredible optical zoom (12X Leica glass), full manual controls, 4MP, hot shoe, low Iso(almost noise free), f2.8 throught out the zoom range and above all the FZ10 is a very reliable camera - you can get one for only $399 at amazon.com
The FZ3 is a cheaper Panasonic long zoom version....doesnt have hot shoe, only 3.2MP....12x leica, full manual controls.

Your decision will depend on what kind of shots you are planning to take....and if you really need 5MP.
For me 4MP is enough.

:|:|
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 8:19 AM   #3

The DSC-V1 is now $266 or so at ebuyer.com new. At that price, nothing can come close..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:49 PM   #4

The V1 is a much better camera in terms of features (eg. manual aperture control, raw mode, etc). So if you care about picture quality, V1 is MUCH BETTER.

However, the W1 is US$100 cheaper (at least according to the street price on dpreview.com). It also has a 2.5" LCD screen.

Most people who buy ultra-compacts do not care much about manual controls and stuff like that. If you fall into that category, I would rather go with W1. If *I* were buying an ultra-compact, it would be mainly for size, convenience and stuff like that--and hence I would go for the W1 over the V1. W1 is slightly smaller, cooler looking (the black one at least), and has 2.5" LCD...BUT if I didn't have any other camera and wanted one that was good for pics, V1 is FAR BETTER than W1...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:13 PM   #5

also the v1has a hot-shoe if i recall
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:25 PM   #6

lemondster wrote:
Quote:
also the v1has a hot-shoe if i recall
yeah I think it does... the dilemma I see is that someone who is buying an ultra-compact likely won't care about any of that. If they were willing to use an external flash then they would go for a compact or even SLR-like (in terms of size) camera. This is why I was actually saying that *I* would go with the W1 over V1 (unless pic quality was very important, in which case why even consider ultra-compacts which are generally worse than the bigger cameras?)
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote