Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2004, 1:09 PM   #1

i'm thinking of buying this camera soon. i currenlty use an olympus c700 and when i take pics of my baby boy i use the sports mode since he is usually moving his arms and legs around.

the Sony W1 doesn't have a sports mode or similar mode for faster action shots. will i be able to take good, non blurry, shots of my boy moving around with the W1?

thanks
ragin_cajuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 1:30 PM   #2
Administrator

Well, the DSC-W1 will focus faster, but that doesn't appear to be your problem.

In what conditions are you getting motion blur, and are you using the flash?

Your Olympus will be the more capable camera as far as getting faster shutter speeds in any given condition.

For one thing, it's got a brighter lens once you start using zoom. For another, it's got higher available ISO speeds. It also gives you more control of how the camera's exposure works (via aperture priority, shutter priority, etc.).

Give us more information on the conditons you're having a problem, and we may be able to give you some tips on the settings you'll want to use for better results.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:03 PM   #3

most of my shots are indoors with the flash of my 4 month old son.

i basically want to know if the dsc w1 will be good a taking "action" shots even though it doesn't have a "sports" mode like some cameras.

i'm getting rid of my olympus c700 for something smaller and more mp.

thanks
ragin_cajuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:44 PM   #4

ragin_cajuns wrote:
Quote:
most of my shots are indoors with the flash of my 4 month old son. i basically want to know if the dsc w1 will be good a taking "action" shots even though it doesn't have a "sports" mode like some cameras. i'm getting rid of my olympus c700 for something smaller and more mp.
thanks
If you use always the built-in flash and the subject is not so far, I guess any camera is gonna be good for you since the flash helps a lot in freezing the action, so what you need is a little compact camera with a strong flash....check out the spec....Im not sure but I think the maximun range of built-in flash in tiny cameras does not go over 4mts.
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:59 PM   #5
Administrator

The reason I asked about the conditions you're getting motion blur in, is to try and determine what the problem is.

If you're using flash, a Sports Mode isn't going to do you any good at all with most models.

Basically, all a Sports Mode does on most models is increase the ISO speed some, and force the camera to use a larger aperture to let more light in. This has the impact of allowing faster shutter speeds.

But, using flash is very different. Indoors, a camera is going to use a larger aperture anyway, and shutter speed is usually fixed relatively slow when flash is used. The flash itself has a very short burst (usually somewhere between 1/1000 and 1/10000 second). So, the flash itself usually freezes the action (this is because the subject is only exposed enough for proper exposure during the flash burst duration, which is very short).

The exception is when you have a lot of ambient light (i.e., light coming in through windows in the daytime). Then, you can sometimes get exposure from other light sources.That's when a faster shutter speed can help (or using a smaller aperture to reduce other light sources from impacting the flash).

Now, looking through some of the photos from the C700, it appears to lean towards using a 1/30 second shutter speed at wide angle when using flash, and a bit faster using zoom (which could bea little too slow if there is a lot of ambient light present). But, you should be able to change this with the C700 by using shutter priority mode with a little faster shutter speed (i.e., I'd go with around 1/100 second or so if the camera will allow flash at different speeds). Using a smaller aperture can also accomplish the same thing (because it helps prevent ambient light from contributing to the exposure). But, this would reduce flash range.

The DSC-W1 is also using a relatively slow shutter speed with flash (around 1/40 second at wide angle -- a bit faster with zoom). However, the DSC-W1 doesn't have any kind of aperture or shutter priority mode to help out. You'd need to go with full manual exposure to change it.

Short Answer:

In conditions where you're getting motion blur now, the DSC-W1 will probably be just as bad (and harder to compensate for compared to your existing camera).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote