Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2004, 1:43 PM   #1

This lament is not mine alone.

:evil:Why can't S1IS haveAF assist and more MPs, and why should it have ' horrible low light performance, lack of hot shoe,:evil: when it has so many appealing propertieslike AA batteries, CF card instead of costly SD, Power adapter facility for 'battery gone' cases, outstanding vidio clips, etc.

FZ20 has great pictures, more MP, good AF assist, fast lens,good indoor performance,hot shoe,yet has Prop batteries, SD card(costs,costs!) , mediocre vidio and noise issues

Well I am a newbie but I have gathered the above info from listening to you Docs of the Trade. My budget is stretchable by about $100, but I would also like to get the best bang for my buck in the long zoom category. I have ,after following the forums , recommendations assiduously, narrowed down my choice to these two.

I would have grabbed the FZ-20 without a question if it was not for prop batteries( at least $50 for an extra),and SD card.

Can a good samaritan help me make a decision? And one more 'unwise' question.....Does FZ20 have AC power adapter connection facility( when the battrey goes down, as I am not in a mood to go for $50 extra battrey)?

And one more thing, I have to make a decision in about 24 Hrs, as my brother who is coming backfrom abroad(I live in India) has to be told.So please make it snappy if you will.Otherwise I will have to use 'the great corporate decesion maker',(read- flip a coin).

Thanks.

wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 2:14 PM   #2

wise wrote:
Quote:
:evil:Why can't S1IS haveAF assist and more MPs, and why should it have ' horrible low light performance, lack of hot shoe,:evil: when it has so many appealing propertieslike AA batteries, CF card instead of costly SD, Power adapter facility for 'battery gone' cases, outstanding vidio clips, etc.
Appealing??? I really prefer the FZ20 battery pack instead of AA batteries (if I dont have FOUR rechargeables AA batteries, I'll need tospend $50 morebucks) -on the other hand,SD cards are as cheap asCompact Flashcards in USA.- about movie? I buy a digital camera for being used as a Camera not as camcorder....if I want to record movies, I use my tiny MiniDv camcorder....
Quote:
FZ20 has great pictures, more MP, good AF assist, fast lens,good indoor performance, hot shoe,yet has Prop batteries, SD card(costs,costs!) , mediocre vidio and noise issues
Allthat I need in a digital camera: "great image quality" unlike the Canon S1 that deliveries soft images.
Quote:
Well I am a newbie but I have gathered the above info from listening to you Docs of the Trade. My budget is stretchable by about $100, but I would also like to get the best bang for my buck in the long zoom category. I have ,after following the forums , recommendations assiduously, narrowed down my choice to these two.
Either the Canon S1 or the FZ20 costfar more than $100.....how are you gonna pay for your purchase??

Quote:
And one more thing, I have to make a decision in about 24 Hrs, as my brother who is coming back from abroad(I live in India) has to be told.So please make it snappy if you will.Otherwise I will have to use 'the great corporate decesion maker',(read- flip a coin).
If you gather the money, I suggest going for the FZ3 instead of the FZ20, because either ofthese cameras (S1 and FZ3) cost pretty the same.

If you really need a hot shoe, go for the FZ10 or FZ20 - both are great.
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 2:57 PM   #3

thanks a lot for prompt response. By stretchble I mean$X +/- $100. What do you say about the necessity of a hot shoe? 7 meters is quite enough, don't you think? So FZ-15 will be a good bet?

Or should I go for F-10, for its ISO 64(FZ-20 has min ISO 80, which people say is a lot noisier than ISO 64, or 50 on some cameras). I would also go for FZ-20 if there is no great difference between ISO-50,64,or 80(minimum).

What say Doc?
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:33 PM   #4

- Built-in flash on the FZ15 and FZ20 goes up to 7mts....if it is enough or not, depends on your needs....the range of an external flash could reach easily 14mts...but 7mts is a very strong flash, above average.
- About minimun Isos available on the FZs:
FZ10, Iso 50
FZ15, Iso 64
FZ20, iso 80
FZ10 and FZ15 deliveries clean images at the lowest Iso.
FZ20 is a bit noisy (not a lot) at Iso 80.
If you have the money, go for the FZ20, it must be the best long zoom camera currently....along with the FZ10 :-)
Hope this helps.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:46 PM   #5

So I think it will be FZ-10 for me.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for the help. BTW, is TIFF+ 1 more MP of FZ20 a great deal?
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:03 PM   #6

Not sure.
Probably you will never use the TIFF format, since it demands high capacity SD cards, and also it lates about 3 seconds to capture each shot to the memory card...quite slow for action shots....the jpg extension is much faster.
The one more MP is only needed if you want "big prints" but it isnt a big deal.

:|
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:09 PM   #7

THANKS!
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:44 PM   #8

The S1 IS does NOT compete against the FZ20; instead, it competes with the FZ3, which is similar to S1 IS. The FZ20 is FAR BETTER than the S1 IS. For instance, simply the size of the LCD screen (2" on FZ20 vs 1.5" on S1 IS) will render it a no-contest (assuming the pic quality is similar).

Usually the ones with flash hot-shoe are slightly higher-end prosumer cameras. The S1 IS (along with the Panasonic FZ3) are targetted at the lower-end of the ultra-zoom market. I am guessing that even a newer version of the S1 (say something released in 6 months to 2 years) will not have a flash hot-shoe. The cameras targetted at the (lower-end) mass market generally do not have flash hot-shoe and stuff like that.

Having said that, the lack of an AF-assist lamp is a huge flaw on the S1 IS. I'm sure it will be corrected in the next version--especially since the FZ3 has it.

The proprietory battery pack IS expensive but it shouldn't stop you from making a decision (unless it is realy really really expensive for you). It is a one-time cost so it isn't so important.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:18 PM   #9

well, siva, I am almost decided upon FZ10, and the reason is the reported higher noise in thepictures of FZ20. Even though I would have prferred to have all those extra which go with FZ20, the noise factor and min ISO value not less than 80 has tilted the situation in FZ10's favour.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:19 AM   #10

Having a high ISO is supposed to be a good thing. Minimum ISO of 80 means that Panasonic is confident enough that its 80 can beat the 50 of Canon and others...

If price weren't a concern, I would get the FZ20 over FZ10... but that's just me... and both of them are somewhat similar...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote