Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2004, 2:00 PM   #1

My goal is to make up to an 8x10, but normally the standard 4x6 size should be okay. I think I need at least a 4 MPixel setup.

First off, what is the term given to the amount of points the camera uses to focus an image? My assumption is the more points, the faster the focus/picture "snap" right? I plan on doing mostly action shots and having the speed of focus/lag time minimized is important to me: when I hit the button, I want the image to get recorded as fast as possible -- as fast as my film camera.

Secondly, do high quality JPEG images look good when blown up to 8x10? My assumption is that only uncompressed TIFF or RAW should be used for items one wishes to blow up, right? I am also a Photoshop guru and I think I should be importing RAW or uncompressed TIFF right?

To summarize the important features to me:

-Minimum time to capture the image in a high quality mode (is that RAW, or HQ jpeg or...?)
-Price under 600 bucks if this is possible.
-Minimum cycle time (next-shot delay).

Just reading some reviews, and looking at specs, I'm thinking maybe, Olympus C-5060, Fuji S7000, Konica Minolta Z3. Can anyone recommend another brand/model or endorse one of those?

Any advise is welcomed. Thanks!
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:04 PM   #2

hello i would recommend an nikon d70,if you want a fast start up in order to catch those important spur of the moment pics .price will be more as entry level but can expand camera lenses in future:blah:also could print easily 20x 30 most bang for your dollar.checkout reviews
dwester1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion... is the startup time really what I'm wanting..? I want the time between when I hit the button and when the image is captured to be minimized. What is that termed?
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:24 PM   #4

sorry was offline its instanteous turn camera on and adj zoom and done now only used cam at store ordered mine online see how that works out.as far as capture time can only say think it was .02 of second no problem will also take 3 frames a second.ck the reviews of nikon d70
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestion man... I think $1300 is a bit more than I wanted to spend. I'd like to keep it under $600.... any ideas given that budget constraint?
Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:18 PM   #6

The hi-speed camera that you're looking for is still on the design table.

We are all looking for the same camera for under $600.

There will be some speed constraints on digital cameras though, the AF speed, the picture processing speed and card writing speed.

All these factors will be important to determine how fast a camera will be, unlike film cameras where everything works at "almost" the speed of light. Think of the digital camera of today as a computer, the cameras released in 2000 probably would be similar to a 486 processor and the current bunch probably P3.

Your current best bet would be some of the current 7MPs cameras, Canon G6/S70 and Sony V3.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:39 PM   #7

Thanks for the info.. I'll look into those models... what are you using and how fast is it (time from button press to pic stored, and time between shots.)
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:08 PM   #8

bluesky you can get a d70 if you look with lense for830. to 849. more money but what you are asking for
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:24 PM   #9

Where? I was looking on pricewatch and didn't see it for anywhere near that price.

What do you all think about the Minolta DiMAGE Z3?
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:04 PM   #10

I'm just a newbie but my feeling is that you don't need raw mode unless you are printing some really high-quality pics or something (even then it's questionable if you need it). The best JPEG compression (i.e. least compression) on most of the prosumer cameras are actually pretty decent IMO.

bluesky wrote:
Quote:
What do you all think about the Minolta DiMAGE Z3?
Best ultra-zoom is the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 (if you don't care about video).... if you care about video then it's debatable (the Konica Minolta Z3 and the Canon S1 IS are both good and have image stabilization; another with good video mode but without IS is the Olympus 550(?)--this has MPEG4 mode)...

dpreview.com generally times the cameras they review... they usually give the startup time, time for ON to half-shutter, ON to full picture, half-shutter to full pic, etc (it's something like the 3rd or 4th page of each review). You might want to read some of the reviews... I would assume (without any research) that the mide to high-end prosumers would have the fastest speed if you ignore the DSLRs... examples of mid to high-end prosumers include Panasonic FZ20, Sony V3, Canon G6, Canon Pro1, Konica Minolta A2, etc.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote