Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:40 PM   #1

I'm asking myself if it worth paying almost twice the pricefor the Canon Powershot S1 IS compare to the Canon PowershotA75...

Advantage S1 IS : better video mode, zoom 10x, adjustablescreen

AdvantageA75 : His Price!

The big question is, I am really going to use that much my Digicam to buy a S1 IS... Do you think it worth paying almost twice the price for the S1 IS?

P.S: Sorry for the mistakes, I do not speak english that well
fook_yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:30 PM   #2

Sure, it's worth the extra bucks.
10X vs 3X
I love long zoom cameras....I wouldnt change mine for a short zoom one....it's quite addictive.
you'll never be far from the action.

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:20 PM   #3

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
Sure, it's worth the extra bucks.
10X vs 3X
I love long zoom cameras....I wouldnt change mine for a short zoom one....it's quite addictive.
you'll never be far from the action.

Thank you very much !

Anyone else?!
fook_yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:52 PM   #4

I'd say it really depends on what you are taking in pictures.... If you want to do mostly macros of flowers, pictures of familly gatherings or indoor pictures... Then go for the A75... But first you have to tell us what kind of picture you are going to take, under what conditions ? Then, what size will you print ?
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:55 PM   #5

I bought the S1 IS so I guess I'm biased

I think the price difference is reasonable if you look at other 2004 cameras from Canon: A95, S60 & S70, and SD500. Compared to the A95, the S1 IS is not THAT expensive. However, it IS somewhat expensive compared to the A75.

I am guessing that the A75 will offer better BANG FOR THE BUCK than the S1 IS, simply because it is older and hence would be discounted heavily (newer models always cost more regardless of whether they have new groundbreaking features or not). BUT if you want 10x zoom and want Canon only, you have no other choice.
----

To put it another way... if you care about high zoom, and if you care about video, then the S1 IS is better than A75. But if you don't care about either, then you shouldn't consider the S1 line. If you want to consider a higher-end low-zoom general camera and only want to buy Canon, then you should compare the A75 to the G6 (or you can go into the ultra-compacts and look at S60 or something like that)...

-------

I am guessing that you are comparing the A75 to the S1 IS simply because they both have similar resolution/megapixels. Even though they have the same megapixels, they are different types of cameras: one is a general (low-zoom) point&shoot, while the other is a mid-end ultra-zoom.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:32 PM   #6

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:

Quote:
If you want to consider a higher-end low-zoom general camera and only want to buy Canon, then you should compare the A75 to the G6 (or you can go into the ultra-compacts and look at S60 or something like that)...
The A75 is not a high-end low zoom camera - it's in the same category as the S1, both are aimed at amateur users...with a few experience in photography, good cameras for starting up to familirise with manual controls.

IMO, both cameras are pretty similar, differences are the AF assistant lamp(A75)and the long zoom (S1), but between these things, I would stay with the latter.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:30 AM   #7

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:

Quote:
If you want to consider a higher-end low-zoom general camera and only want to buy Canon, then you should compare the A75 to the G6 (or you can go into the ultra-compacts and look at S60 or something like that)...
The A75 is not a high-end low zoom camera - it's in the same category as the S1, both are aimed at amateur users...with a few experience in photography, good cameras for starting up to familirise with manual controls.
Yeah... my point was that the A75 is a low-end low-zoom camera and if he wants to stick with canon, then he may want to consider the G6, which is a high-end general low-zoom camera...

[/quote]
IMO, both cameras are pretty similar, differences are the AF assistant lamp(A75)and the long zoom (S1), but between these things, I would stay with the latter. [/quote]

I disagree... I don't think ultra-zooms and low-zooms are in the same category, regardless of the price or the target consumer. They are totally different classes of cameras. Roughly speaking, ultra-zooms have worse low-light pics, have purple fringing issues, warping at low-angles, and so on. The general low-zoom cameras don't have these issues but obviously don't have a high enough zoom to grab far-away objects... Most people who consider the Canon A-line (eg. A75, A95) will NOT consider the S1 line; and vice versa. If you want zoom, you cannot consider the A-line (or any other line for that matter); whereas if you want good low-zoom, low-light performance, the ultra-zooms suck...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote: I disagree... I don't think ultra-zooms and low-zooms are in the same category, regardless of the price or the target consumer. They are totally different classes of cameras. Roughly speaking, ultra-zooms have worse low-light pics, have purple fringing issues, warping at low-angles, and so on. The general low-zoom cameras don't have these issues but obviously don't have a high enough zoom to grab far-away objects..
Not exactly,

the a75 has a 2.8 - 4.8 lens unlike the S1 with a 2.8 -3.1lens, - it means, the S1 has a brighter lens than the A75....in the zoom range (3.1 vs 4.8)

The Pana FZ3 keeps f2.8 through out the zoom range - that means the FZ3 lens is brighter than the S1.....in the zoom range (2.8 vs 3.1)

Wide angle - the aperture value is the same on those cameras = f2.8

Indoor shots and low light shots depend a lot on the aperture range of the lens.

The best performance according to thespec. among these three cameras go to the FZ3 -

Nowadays, long zoom cameras perfom very good job - specially the new FZ line -no vignette, almost unnoticeable purple fringing and no soft corners.

The Canon G6 definitively is a high-end camera with an incredible bright lens = f2.0 - this camera beats FZs for indoor shots - but purple fringing or CA are also noticeable on the G6 (IMO FZ20 do a better job).

In short, the A75 has pretty the same specs as the S1, except for the long zoom on the S1.....and I lean towards the S1......but between S1 and FZ3 I really prefer the latter....IMHO