Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:57 PM   #1

I'm looking for a camera for my "baby" sister. Can anyone recommend a camera that is both small AND fast? She is a new mother and would like to capture as many shots as possible.This means a) always having the camera (i.e. pocket-sized) and b) having a camera that goes from power-on to first shot in less time than her daughter's babyhood. It also means a shutterlag of less than 4 minutes (can you tell that I've had bad experiences?)

I've been seduced by the D70's speed (that's my upcoming purchase), but I just can't convince her that it's pocket-sized.

All the other variables are up for grabs. Money isn't really a factor. Basically I'm looking for the best camera available that's small and fast.

TIA,

Steve
Tivolicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:43 AM   #2

i just purchased the canon SD300 and i feel that it is one of the fastestand best cameras on the market

i work for best buy soi have seen a fair ammount of cameras come and go and this one is a winner

it is a 4MP camera with one of the best color reconition sensors that i have seen. it is also a very fast camera, i can poweron and take a shot in close to 1 sec. it is roughly the size of a credit card and about a half-inch thick and with a 2" screen i think it is hard to beat

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=10599
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:31 AM   #3

The SD300 is a great camera indeed.

Another one worth pointing out is the Sony P100/P120/P150 family. very small, very fast. Not as big a screen as the Canons, but higher resolution, and very fast.

DCM
DigiCamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 4:01 PM   #4

I adore the Olympus 5060 but no one can consider it pocket sized! Full manual over ride facilites, a great screen and wide angle lens which she will need for indoor shots. 35mm isn't wide enough. However, the Canon S70 is 28mm wide angle, adequate zoom,7mp, has manual override, andIS pocket sized. Seems to fit the bill for her.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 9:07 PM   #5

if pocket sized is what you want definately get the S70 because of the wider angle lens. i hear many people at work how with their camera they cant seem to "step back far enough" on indoor pictures to get the entire scene.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"the S70 is at the lage end of what i would call pocketsized but i think that it would work for you.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"if you are looking smaller, more of an ultracompact camera the SD200/300 are excellent cameras
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote