Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:46 AM   #1

First off hi to everyone as this is my first post here, I have been reading this site for quite a while but never posted in the forums before.

It is time for me to get new camera as my old DSC-P71 is all messed up by now.
The main reason I want a Canon is for being good all around cameras with possibility to play around with manual modes and ad on lenses filters. Also last but not the least I recently bought canon pixima printer and I am eligible to receive $50 back from canon with purchase of camera as well.

Now my thoughts about models I am considering. A85 cheapest ~$220 shipped update to A80 but from reading reviews I came to the idea that A80 might be better as it has better resolution and few little things as rotating LCD etc. now A85 has a little more features like preset scenes photography.

Now A95 seems to have all of the features above + 5mp resolution, so yesterday I was almost ready to buy it, but I checked it out in my local store today and main difference I noticed in comparison with A85 was that physically lens are smaller than A75 A80 A85. So is it a problem or not, it's just that I always thought that more glass = more light = better, so why would canon put smaller lens on the top of the line a series camera???

Any opinions would be appreciated.

One more thing I would like to ask is if anyone here has experience with tube adaptor + wide angle lens + telephoto + filters. From what I understand there is 2 tube adaptor sizes available for A series canons first one 52mm and second 37mm? Which one is better in regard to access to more filters and of course prices of them. It would be great to hear some first hand opinions about this one. Also I have heard that 52mm adapter get is a way with flash is that true?

Anyways to conclude I mainly use camera to take pictures of the products for my website (car stuff) and for picture taking since I like to travel a lot. I also print pictures as well usually 5x7 sometimes 8.5x11 for some.

Thanks for all replies in advance and sorry for the long post, but I am anxious to buy the new camera and need help making this decision my budget is around $200-$350 for this. I would love to get G5 or G6 but it is still a bit to expensive.

Thanks Ziggy

Dziuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:38 AM   #2

first i would like to say that whatever canon you get will make you happy

i work at best buy and i think im one of the few in the company that have good prod knowledge i have had the S410, S500 and just got the SD300 (love it)

i think that you would be better off with one of canon's newer model camera's because they are much faster.

im gonna try to address each of your questions/concerns

i have not seen any noticable difference with the resolution betwen the A80 and A85

i would not worry about the preset scene modes because most of the pictures that you will be taking will be quick snapshots where you dont have the time to monk around with the scene modes before taking the shot. the camera will probably stay in auto mode until you are ready to have fun with the manual settings.

the difference in the lens opening is marginal and i dont think that you will notice it.

the difference in a 4 and a 5 MP camera is not noticable on an 8.5 x 11 unless you plan to do any cropping i have had spectacular pictures that have come out of my S410 when i printed on canons older printers (i960 and i900D)

email me if you want to see them [email protected]

the experiences that i have had with the whole lens adapter - filter - and all that have all been less than superb. the add-on lenses are rarely of high enough quality to eliminate distortion. filters arent as bad. 37mm filters are common because they are found frequently on digital camcorders. 52mm filters are also common because they are found on consumer SLR cameras. you will find a wider variety of filters for 52mm especially if you go to your local camera shop. camera shops are REAL good places to shop and try-out filters but they are usually more expensive than online retaillers.

as far as your printer is concerned: if the printer has memory card slots and the pictbridge usb port use the usb!! i know for a fact that HP and Lexmark printers print at halv resolution 2400X1200 when they print from the card and i would not be suprised that Canon would be the same.

my overall advice would be to get an A85 and save your money for a Digital Rebel or 20D where you can have real fun with the shutter and aperature settings and change lenses while using special effects filters

hope i helped
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 2:33 AM   #3

thanks for reply it does answer most of my questions. printerwise i have ip5000 right now and i am very impresed with detail (9600x2400dpi) however color is limited as it is 4(5) color printer so i am actualy thinking about replacing it with canon i960 instead (6 color).

thanks

Old Nov 29, 2004, 2:36 AM   #4

the ip6000 i think that is the model # is the new 6color and retails for 180 it has a card reader and ~2.5" display
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:23 AM   #5

that is corect but i960 is much cheaper and twice faster.