Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2004, 2:23 AM   #1

Why do lot of people recommend sd300 model from canon as a "good" buy? What they recognise from this camera is its small size , the fact that it is fast , and a few other features .. Nobody though recommends this camera because of its good picture quality.. Are we missing the point ? We look at the less important factors and we forget about the quality of our pictures?
I read that this cam has problems with its pictures..I was really going for this one (ultracompact buy) but now i am kinda confused.. I dont know what to do .. I think that i am going with sony P-150..What i read is that its quality is much better..plus its features are ok..Its a bit more expensive , but i prefer to give 100 $ more and to carry a slightly bigger camera than to have a bad quality sd300..or is it not so bad?
george_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 2:40 AM   #2

i have had no probs with the SD300 and i firmly believe that canon produces the best picture quality it is, onthe otherhand, only a 4mp camera so if you plan to crop and print 8x10 the sony will be a beter buy. i have a couple pictures from my older canon S410 camera (4mp just a bigger body) if you want, just email me: [email protected]

lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 2:56 AM   #3

I would like to have some pictures of the sd300..I have seen the sample ones in this site and another 1-2 , but i would like to see more pictures taken from other users..

Well in 4x6 prints the differences might not be so big but when viewing similar pictures at my computer at my monitor size (17'') taken by the sony p-150 and the sd300 the difference is noticable..

The p-150 also have some shutter/aperture changing controls , which might help for difficult and fast , or low light shots , and i dont know how the canon would react in such circumstances..What is your experience when shooting objects that go fast (f.e. cars...lets suppose during the day , with enough light) with the sd300 ? is there any blurrness or the camera is able to freeze the object and take a sharp picture?

I have to say that i saw some samples from p150 .. in one sample a man was walking and the blurness was awful , i dont know if the shot was with very slow shutter speed though...
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:18 AM   #4

gimme till the end of monday EST and ill have some pics

Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:29 AM   #5

here are some that i already had from my s410

none have been edited and yes that is a real sign! im too lazy to even rotate the golf one

http://www.superbasspond.com/turnakit/picss410/

Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:50 AM   #6

ok please when you take some pictures with the sd300 let me see them

please take cars, people walking in the street , etc :-)

thank you
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:07 PM   #7

well..... it was a wonderfully cloudy day today but everything turned out better than i thought

http://www.superbasspond.com/turnakit/picssd300/

in the first two pictures i had the camera in a full auto mode and you cansee some blurriness.

after being kinda dissapointed with those pictures i decided to set the camera into manual mode to take the rest of the action shots by having the camera underexpose the pictures by 1-stop and they turned out great. most of the cars in the pictures were going around 30-40mph amd the people were walking at.....well......walking speed.

please dont report any of the liscence plates to www.leftlanedicks.com i just didnt want to edit the pictures

hopefully tomorrow will be sunny
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:41 PM   #8
Administrator

lemondster wrote:
Quote:
well..... it was a wonderfully cloudy day today but everything turned out better than i thought

http://www.superbasspond.com/turnakit/picssd300/
I looked at the EXIF for the first shot in your album (img_1220.jpg), and it was taken at f/2.8 (the maximum available aperture for your model, and most other subcompact models), at 1/160 second and ISO 50.

I then looked at img_1224.jpg, which you underexposed by a stop. This got you to 1/400 second at f/2.8 -- still at ISO 50.

The shutter speeds you're getting are well above the 1/focal length rule of thumb. So, the camera's autoexposure algorithms aren't going to boost the ISO speed to allow faster shutter speeds in these conditions (it doesn't know you're trying to freeze a moving vehicle).

A suggestion: simply increase the ISO speed versus deliberately underexposing the photos if you have a need to shoot in similar conditions. Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast. In other words, by simply using ISO 100 versus ISO 50, the camera would have probably chosen the exact same aperture and shutter speed combination that you got by underexposing by a stop.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:53 PM   #9

JimC how do you know what shutter speed / aperture / ISO did the camera use ?

Do you use any software that allows you to see?
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:55 PM   #10

lemondster thanks very much!!!