Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2004, 2:09 PM   #1

Hello there from England,

What a fantastic website. I Want to buy a small camera like the above Sony. However, really disappointed reading the reveiwsthat it does not perform well in low light and is effected by red eye.

My girlfriend is coming out to NY on Wednesday and i was hoping to get her to buy me a camera ata good priceprice, as we have to put up with rip of Britain.

Has anybody got hold of the T3 version?? Is it much better, I think Sony said they weren't going to sell it in the states??? Is that true??? Will the T1link up with a UK mac, any probs using US Cameras with UK computers.

Your invaluable advice would be much appreciated!

Henry Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:25 PM   #2

Henry Jackson wrote:
Quote:
Hello there from England,
yo sup :bye:

Quote:
What a fantastic website. I Want to buy a small camera like the above Sony. However, really disappointed reading the reveiws that it does not perform well in low light and is effected by red eye.
Most of the ultra-compacts have problems with red-eye because their flash is so close to the lens (since they are so small)... hmm... it's tough to say if the T1 should be ruled out because of that... if you were NOT getting the T1, what others would you consider? I think T1 is a special camera in that it is soooo small with such a good bright LCD screen but other ultra-compacts include the Sony W1, Canon SD500, Canon S60/S70, etc (not all of these are the same size as the T1)...

Quote:
My girlfriend is coming out to NY on Wednesday and i was hoping to get her to buy me a camera at a good price price, as we have to put up with rip of Britain.
yeah... heard about it... from some guy on this board... who is not too happy with Canon and its prices

Quote:
Has anybody got hold of the T3 version?? Is it much better, I think Sony said they weren't going to sell it in the states??? Is that true???
Get this... Sony is supposedly not selling the T3 in USA because the T1 is selling well!!! Can't believe they would do that but oh well... so yeah, they are not releasing the T3 any time soon...

Quote:
Will the T1 link up with a UK mac, any probs using US Cameras with UK computers.
I don't think you will have problems with computer connections (since computers use standard ports) but one thing to consider is the warranty. The warranty may not be applicable outside USA (should check what Sony's policy is). That kind of sucks but if you are saving a few hundread dollars (the T1 is the most expensive ultra-compact so you WILL save quite a bit by buying it outside UK) it may be worth it...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:33 PM   #3
Administrator

A word of caution, since you're looking to take party photos...

The flash range on the T1 is onlyrated at5 feet (1.5 meters). Thisrating is at it's wide angle lens setting(not using any zoom), so it may be slightly less using zoom (see the specifications in the reviews for any camera you consider).

This is also an Auto ISO rating (which means it's increasing the sensitivity of the CCD just to get this much range, which can add noise).

So, unless you *really* need a camera that small, you may want to consider going with a slightly larger model in order to get more usability indoors.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote