Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2004, 12:58 PM   #1

Im looking at the Sony DSC F717 and am really liking it. if I can get one for around $400 or so (under $500.00) is it worth my time to use it? I'm not a pro... yet but will someday be (i hope) and am looking for a good cam that i can use to start out wth.

Also, the Nikon (i think its the 5700?) looks good but to be honest, i like the look of the sony better... does/has anyone here own/use the F717 if so, is it really that good? also, can you screw different lenses on it? telephoto,fish eye and the like?

Thanks all!

-zacker-

ps. I will be shooting mostly out door, Nature shots... Animals and land scape.
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:03 PM   #2

The people with strong brand loyalty will not be happy with this but it probably doesn't matter which brand you want (provided it doesn't come on a keychain and was bought on the Home Shopping Network) because they will all give commendable results for general picture taking.

Now, when you have specific jobs that you wantto do (like nature and wildlife photography), then there are still some recommended features that you will want (regardless of brand):

1) Animals are difficult to get close to so a long OPTICAL zoom is important. (DIgitial zoom isn't a replacement for optical zoom.) The equivalent of 500mm would be great!!

2) You will probably be using a tripod for serious nature photography but you might want to give a plus to a camera that has some kind of image stabilization if you want to handhold while zoomed out.

3) You probably aren't going to worry aboutthe flash either.

4) Resolution probably isn't as important as zoom but will come into play if you are going to make large prints. It makes no difference at all if you are primarily posting on the Internet or making standard 4x6 prints for an album. Most photo inkjet printers do full page (8x10) prints and it is unlikely that you will really go much larger than that. If you do 3Mp or higher, you will have lots of room to move around.

5) The format of the memorycard makes no difference to the quality of your image. It is only temporary storage until you can transfer the shots to your computer.

6)A tiny point and shoot is unlikely to have sufficient zoom to make adequate nature photographs so don't insist on a camera that you can put in your pocket.

7) With advances in battery technology, don't bother worrying about whether the camera takes 'proprietary' batteries. The best performance comes from the specialy designed batteries and you need only havea spare charged battery pack available.

Sorry, I couldn't say "Go and buy the Pretentia 2300XD..it is the best!" Most of the advise you will get is simply, "Buy what I bought!" but they might not have any idea of what is important to you.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:03 PM   #3

The people with strong brand loyalty will not be happy with this but it probably doesn't matter which brand you want (provided it doesn't come on a keychain and was bought on the Home Shopping Network) because they will all give commendable results for general picture taking.

Now, when you have specific jobs that you wantto do (like nature and wildlife photography), then there are still some recommended features that you will want (regardless of brand):

1) Animals are difficult to get close to so a long OPTICAL zoom is important. (DIgitial zoom isn't a replacement for optical zoom.) The equivalent of 500mm would be great!!

2) You will probably be using a tripod for serious nature photography but you might want to give a plus to a camera that has some kind of image stabilization if you want to handhold while zoomed out.

3) You probably aren't going to worry aboutthe flash either.

4) Resolution probably isn't as important as zoom but will come into play if you are going to make large prints. It makes no difference at all if you are primarily posting on the Internet or making standard 4x6 prints for an album. Most photo inkjet printers do full page (8x10) prints and it is unlikely that you will really go much larger than that. If you do 3Mp or higher, you will have lots of room to move around.

5) The format of the memorycard makes no difference to the quality of your image. It is only temporary storage until you can transfer the shots to your computer.

6)A tiny point and shoot is unlikely to have sufficient zoom to make adequate nature photographs so don't insist on a camera that you can put in your pocket.

7) With advances in battery technology, don't bother worrying about whether the camera takes 'proprietary' batteries. The best performance comes from the specialy designed batteries and you need only havea spare charged battery pack available.

Sorry, I couldn't say "Go and buy the Pretentia 2300XD..it is the best!" Most of the advise you will get is simply, "Buy what I bought!" but they might not have any idea of what is important to you.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:06 PM   #4

Thanks Mary. I have read and read the reviewes here at Steves but they are soo detailed that i start getting confused as to whats what on what camera...lol

I would be taking shots of animals and nature and just like you said, you need a good zoom. Esp. with birds, they are sooo skiddish out in the wild that you really have very little room to get close, and I dont want to get too close to an alligator or Bear!!

I really like the Sony because :

A) It seems to be about what I need.

B) Its a bit older so I can find it at a pretty good $$$$

C) It looks really cool...lol

I just dont Make enough $$$ to spend it on something that i wont be able to use.

I'd like to do some Photography for possibly print, I'm in no way a pro but I have been taking pictures for a long time and not to sound like an ass ( god, I hope I dont) I think and have been told, I take good pics of wildlife and have a pretty good eye for still shots in nature...trees and sun set's and the like.

Hopefully, someone here will let me know if they use or have used the Sony and could tell me what they liked or disliked about it.

Thanks for the quick reply!

-zacker-
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:12 PM   #5
Administrator

Although a dated model now, the Sony DSC-F717 is a very good camera. It's got the brightest lens you can find for it's focal range in a non-DSLR model (f/2.0 at wide angle, only stopping down to f/2.4 at full zoom). So, it's much more capable than most in lower light conditions.

It's noise levels are also muchbetter than average as ISO speeds are increased, and it captures a lot of detail for a 5MP model (thanks to it's very sharp lens).

To answer you earlier question on lenses, Sony does make some conversion lens adapters for it (closeup, wide angle, teleconverter). You can also find 3rd party lens converters for it.

Keep in mind that this is a fixed lens camera (not an interchangeable lens model like a DSLR). So, you must use a converter lens in front of the main lens for the desired result, and there are limitations as to what you can achieve without image degradation.

Now, you mentioned being able to buy it for under $500.00. Well.... there are a lot of scam artists around using "bait and switch" techniques with very nice looking web sites.

It is very unlikely that you'll be able to buy this camera in new condition for under $500.00 without some kind of catch (very high unauthorized shipping and insurance tacked on, items missing from the box, etc.). Most of the bait and switch type dealers are located in Brooklyn, and won't sell you a camera for the advertised price, unless you agree to buy lots of addons at inflated prices (memory cards, extended warranties, batteries, etc.).

They typically call you to "confirm" your order, and then the sales pitch begins. If you refuse to buy the overpriced addons, then they'll probably refuse to ship it to you (or they'll ship you a partial order with high unauthorized shipping and insurance tacked on, and when you try to return it and dispute it with your credit card company, they'll try to keep the shipping and insurance, as well as a restocking fee, since the restocking fees are displayed in the policies on their web site.

I'd make sure to ask about any dealer you are considering here first.

In addition to the customer reviews in the price search engines, also check each dealers reputation carefully using http://www.reselleratings.com, and avoid dealers with a small number of customer reviews (vendors have been known to pad their own ratings with glowing reviews).

From what I can see, about the best you'll be able to do on this camera in new condition is approximately$585:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Sony_C..._F717~S-P~OR-0

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 6:31 PM   #6

Thanks Jim,

I saw all the warnings about these shady Ny guys someone posted here when i was reading the posts this afternoon! Thats the problem with the web.. its hard to trust anyone on it. I'ts a shame, it realy is.

Thanks for the tips and the link, i will look into the companies a bit more thorouly now...:idea:

Im gonna have to realy start doing my homework with this, i can see that right now.

Thanks again for the heads up!

-zacker-