Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2004, 7:38 PM   #1

I am looking for a Panasonic camera and I have found several sites that have good prices. I was told that many online stores will carry refurbished equipment and claim that it is brand new. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience, positive or negative, with the following stores:

iBuyPlasma.com

butterflyphoto.com

digitalmegastore.com

ibuydigital.com

dbuys.com

digitaletrailer.com

centraldigital.com

Several of these sites say they gaurantee their merchandise to be brand new, factory sealed. I just wanted to know other peoples experiences.

BoaRd bRYce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:15 PM   #2

Well, I haven't purchased anything from butterflyphoto.com or dbuys.com, but I can tell you this. I wrote emails to both of those stores, after having read some quite bad reviews about them. My email to them was to give me a guarantee that if I order something from them (ie Dbuys.com and butterflyphoto.com) that was stated to be in stock, then they would immediately ship the item to me after my credit information etc was confirmed. I also asked them to guarantee that they do not hassle me to buy additional items besides what I order myself. I also asked them to guarantee that if they say that my item has been shipped, then it would truly be shipped. One more thing...I also asked for guarantee that the camera would be sent with the full nikon warranty papers completely unopened in their original packets.

I wrote emails to dbuys.com and butterflyphoto.com maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. Dbuys.com replied on the second day, and their email reply consisted of one single word, and that word was 'yes'. No other word...not even anything to indicate who the representative was. The reply was just 'yes'. This confirmed the horror reports from epinions.com that the representatives at Dbuys.com can be extremely rude.

As for butterflyphoto.com, I did not receive any email reply whatsoever. This doesn't surprise me either, after you read some reviews about this store from epinions.com.

My real feeling is that if you're going to buy something, then get it from profeel.com. This place has 5 star rating from many reviewers. I have no doubt whatsoever that profeel.com will make your online shopping experience a good one. To confirm this, read their reviews from epinions.com ... this shop I believe can be really trusted.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:26 PM   #3

I have not bought from any of the stores you have listed. That doesn't mean they are good or bad, just I haven't used them. I have bought from buydig.com and didn't get one high pressure sales for accs. You can go to this site and read reviews of online retailers. http://www.resellerratings.com/ Just keep in mind the lowest price might not be worth the hassel sometimes. Good Luck.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:25 AM   #4

Just ordered a Olympus C-770 on Monday,Nov. 28 from Buuterfly Photo,standard shipping which they state 7-10 days. Got a phone call conffrming order asked about battery and card upgrade. Told him I already had them,he said order would be processed. Got email on on Fedex 2nd Day delivery that night. Should be here today, Dec 1. Don't know why they shipped 2nd day , invoice shows standard free shipping. I am happy with them.
mtpocketsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:26 AM   #5

The only store on your list I have done business with is Butterfly - I believe I have ordered twice from them without a problem. Now, I will say I have never had to deal with their customer service department nor have I had to return anything so I can't comment about those aspects of their business. I believe I looked into the "IBUY..." stores in the past (there are several and I think it's all the same store) and something scared me off about them. Don't recall what it was, but something seemed shady. Good luck - and you are right to look for a gaurantee that it is a US product and factory sealed. Another suggestion is to call the store you want to order from and check item availability that way. Many companies have an entirely separate web system than their inventory system and the web inventory levels are not as 'current' as they would lead you to believe.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 7:51 AM   #6

FWIW, I stumbled across this site the other day. It's photos of the store fronts of many of the "order mills" in Brooklyn. Would you buy from any of them?http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/pictures/BrooklynStores/
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:41 AM   #7

Well, considering I live 3000 miles from brooklyn, i don't think i'm interested.

John thanks for the info. I was planning on ordering by phone anyways, I don't have much confidence in webforms. Most of the negative reviews for butterflyphoto are for problems with the webform or accessory packages, so I think I'll be okay.I think the problem with the ibuy stores is that they don't take returns if themanufacturer's seal has been broken, which is unusual. I think I've heard enough good things about butterflyphoto that I can rely on them.thanks!

Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:53 PM   #8

I just bought my Olympus C765 from Butterflyphoto.com. Fats shipping,no problems at all.
ribac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:03 PM   #9

I only buy on line from 17th St and B & H, both Canon and Nikon main dealers with excellent reputations. On line they show if it is or isn't in stock so you know.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:31 PM   #10

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
I only buy on line from 17th St and B & H, both Canon and Nikon main dealers with excellent reputations. On line they show if it is or isn't in stock so you know.

I actually checked out B & H, because a professor at my college recommended them. On their website they only carry the FZ10, though. I was actually planning on buying that anyways until the other day when I was shooting my friend surfing and decided I needed as fast autofocus as I could get, so I'm going with the FZ15, and that isn't on their website. I've never heard of 17th street.