Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:07 PM   #1

I have a 15 and 13 year old I want to buy a camcorder for. They both snowboard and want to videotape themselves snowboarding..So I need an inexpensive camcorder that can take the abuse teenages on snowboards would give it....also it will need to have low light capabilites for those night runs......as well as work with a mac computer. I would also like it to be a decent cam.....so if they do get into video taping at least they won't be frustrated with bad photography. (who knows they could grow up to be video masters making pro-snowboarding video's and I don't want them to be discouraged.) Anybody got any ideas????? Thanks a million:?
gypsyrae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:40 PM   #2
Administrator

Well.. This site is for Digital Still Cameras versus Camcorders. Now, that doesn't mean that some of the forum members here may not be able to help out. But, I wouldn't count on it.

As a general rule, Camcorders take poor quality still photos, and Digital Still Cameras take poor quality video. The sensors in them tend to be optimized for one or the other.

But, the product lines are starting to crossover more now. For example, some of the newer Digital Still Cameras have VGA Quality Movie modes (640 x 480 resolution at 30 frames per second). A few even let you use optical zoom while recording (most don't). An example is a camera like the Canon S1 IS, and it even has a stabilized lens. But, sound quality still leaves something to be desired with most Digital Still Cameras, and the video takes up lots of storage on your internal memory cards. The ability to record in darker conditions is not really there either.

Also, digital still cameras use flash memory of some type only, and video takes up lots of room on it.

So, you're better off buying a Camcorder for video if that's your primary use for a camera, and a Digital Still Camera for photos if that's your primary use for a camera.

Hopefully, someone else will respond with suggestions. But, you may be better off trying to find a site dedicated to Camcorders.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 7:27 PM   #3

Sorry I didn't realize that.....my mac tech told me to come to this web page cuz it was the best site around for helping me narrow the field down for what I needed. I quess she was wrong.....thanks any ways.:sad:
gypsyrae1 is offline   Reply With Quote