Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2004, 4:41 AM   #1

Hi

I am looking at 2 cameras and can't decide between the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 & the Fuji s7000

I currently have a Nikon F60 35mm and judging on its history 90% of the shots will be family, parties, kids etc and 10% on close up and 10% out of an aeroplane that I fly between 1000 and 5000 feet.

I am concerned about the Fuji's picture quality but it is 6mp and 6x optical zoom where the Panasonic is 5mp and 12x zoom.

I think if I was going to create large (i.e. >8x4 or A4 size) pictures I would be going to a pro as these would be wall hanging portraites (notice I said "I think"). I mean, can you really tell the difference between a 5mp and 6mp picture at these basic sizes?

Anyway, any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Ian
ibaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 7:53 AM   #2

ibaker wrote:
Quote:
I think if I was going to create large (i.e. >8x4 or A4 size) pictures I would be going to a pro as these would be wall hanging portraites (notice I said "I think"). I mean, can you really tell the difference between a 5mp and 6mp picture at these basic sizes?

Anyway, any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Ian
According to the scpecs the FZ20 is capable of creating 13 by 17 " enlargements.

if you need bigger prints, a nice alternative could be the Nikon 8800 which has a 8MP sensor and your prints couldgo beyond 20"x30"

The Nikon 8800 has a 10x optical zoom with VR (vibration reduction)

but if youhave narrowed your search to the Fuji and Pana FZ20.....i suggest going for theFZ20......IMO it's the best long zoom camera currently.
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 8:06 AM   #3

Have to agree with User -- the difference between 5 & 6 mp's is not near as great as the diff. between 6x and 12x/IS.

Phil
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 5:41 PM   #4

i'm also trying to decide on whether to go with fuji or panasonic. but for me it's the s20pro vs the fz20.
the thing is, the panasonics 12x zoom that everyone is orgasming over won't be used by me much at all so the difference in zoom doesn't bother me at all. i'd just like to know which one is considered the better camera, aside from the zoom.
jet5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:06 PM   #5

If you think preference/enthusiasm is the same as orgasming, then you must have the most dissatisfied sexual partner in all the UK.....

best regards,

Phil
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:47 AM   #6

The Fuji does take sharper images, in my opinion. I wanted a big zoom and image stabilization so I went with the FZ10, but if you don't care for quite that much zoom, then the Fuji does have a nice big lens, very sharp, f2.8, and more resolution too. I work at a place that takes passport pictures, and we (most of us being far from experienced photographers) use an S7000. It's easy to use and takes super-sharp pictures. The FZ10 is not quite so easy to get great pictures with.
DigiCamMan is offline   Reply With Quote