Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:54 PM   #1

hello,

I am trying to decide which Panasonic Lumix camera I want to buy and have some questions I hope someone here can help with.

I have read many reviews on the FZ3, FZ10, and the FZ15 and have tried to put together all the information on them.

I started to just buy the FZ3, because overall it has many features we need, but then I saw the FZ15....

Some questions/comments on FZ10 vs. FZ15 or FZ15K and the FZ3:

a. is the FZ15 a new replacement for FZ10?

b. does the FZ15 NOT record sound with the video mode? If not why have a microphone? Apparently the FZ3 and FZ10 are very similar in the audio dubbing and recording functions. And both of these will record sound.

c. since the FZ10 does NOT have low light focus assist lamp, is it really necessary? It appears to only work out to about 5' anyway, and I seldom would be shooting that close in near darkness.

d. The FZ10 and FZ15 appear identical in physical makeup and lens. Will lens accessories for the FZ15 fit on FZ10?

e. Why is there no reference to FZ10 on Panasonics USA web site?

f. On Steve's Digicams review site the FZ10 flash usage appears weak. only out to 7 feet. Is it not the same as the FZ15 and good to 23 feet in ISO auto mode?

g. does the FZ10 not have the review mode with 1x/4x/8x like the FZ15 and FZ3

h. The review mentioned image noise reduction for the FZ15 is this the same on FZ10? it would seem that many of the features would be the same on these two cameras.

i. Does the FZ3 accept lens adapters, such as filters and wide angle or telephoto? It seems as if i saw a web site retailer offering those.

j. Does the fast SD memory offer an improvement in performance vs. standard memory?

k. am i correct in that ALL are Pict Bridge compatible? and ALL will output A/V signal?

My wife and I will be the primary users of the camera. I realize the FZ3 has the "easy" mode for simple operation and this is a good feature. Does the "P" point-n-shoot simple mode on the FZ10 and FZ15 work just as well?

We would never print anything larger than 8x10 prints and mostly 4x6 I am sure, so I don't know if the extra pixels on the FXZ10 and FZ15 would be "wasted".

None of these is a pocket camera and I have only seen the FZ3 in a store. So, is the larger size and weight of the others likely to be a problem?

thanks for any and all replies

I hope you all have a good season of shopping and a wonderful Christmas!

new_camera_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:52 PM   #2

new_camera_man wrote:
Quote:
a. is the FZ15 a new replacement for FZ10?
It could be a very nice replacement, but the FZ15 lacks of "hot shoe" and is unable to record video with sound.
Quote:
b. does the FZ15 NOT record sound with the video mode? If not why have a microphone? Apparently the FZ3 and FZ10 are very similar in the audio dubbing and recording functions. And both of these will record sound.
I think the microphone on the FZ15 is only for adding voice to yourstills but NOT for recording video.
Quote:
c. since the FZ10 does NOT have low light focus assist lamp, is it really necessary? It appears to only work out to about 5' anyway, and I seldom would be shooting that close in near darkness.
The assistan lamp is necessary, but it is not a big deal - I have my FZ10 more than eight months ago and Im used to taking shots in low light conditions with no problem.....maybe a pointer could help.
Quote:
d. The FZ10 and FZ15 appear identical in physical makeup and lens. Will lens accessories for the FZ15 fit on FZ10?
Unlike the FZ10 the FZ15 has includedan "ED" lens

both cameras can use the same accesories.
Quote:
e. Why is there no reference to FZ10 on Panasonics USA web site?
Because it has been discontinued.
Quote:
f. On Steve's Digicams review site the FZ10 flash usage appears weak. only out to 7 feet. Is it not the same as the FZ15 and good to 23 feet in ISO auto mode?
True, the built-in flash on the FZ10 is ridiculuos -fortunately you can mount an external flash.
Quote:
g. does the FZ10 not have the review mode with 1x/4x/8x like the FZ15 and FZ3
False, the FZ10 has the same review mode.
Quote:
h. The review mentioned image noise reduction for the FZ15 is this the same on FZ10? it would seem that many of the features would be the same on these two cameras.
"Image noise reduction" is only available on the FZ15 and FZ20, but I really dont know if this setting works fine.
Quote:
i. Does the FZ3 accept lens adapters, such as filters and wide angle or telephoto? It seems as if i saw a web site retailer offering those.
I guess, it does, but I am not sure.
Quote:
j. Does the fast SD memory offer an improvement in performance vs. standard memory?
Sure, It captures the images in your memory card faster.
Quote:
k. am i correct in that ALL are Pict Bridge compatible? and ALL will output A/V signal?
Yes.
Quote:
My wife and I will be the primary users of the camera. I realize the FZ3 has the "easy" mode for simple operation and this is a good feature. Does the "P" point-n-shoot simple mode on the FZ10 and FZ15 work just as well?
Pretty the same but you should assure to set the Auto ISO,
Quote:
We would never print anything larger than 8x10 prints and mostly 4x6 I am sure, so I don't know if the extra pixels on the FXZ10 and FZ15 would be "wasted".
I dont know, I think sooner or later you are gonna use the extra MP.
Quote:
None of these is a pocket camera and I have only seen the FZ3 in a store. So, is the larger size and weight of the others likely to be a problem?
Maybe, FZ15 and FZ10 are almsot twice heavy and bulky than the FZ3...that depends on you.
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:53 AM   #3

Well, after much deliberation and investigations, we have decided to get the FZ20.

And we had not even had it on the list of choices! Circuit City is selling them online for $570, with a free (mail in offer) extra battery and carry case, also with a $60 mail in rebate for a gift card. They have 512mb Ultra SD cards for $67.

This costs us about $100 more than we planned to spend, but it appears this camera will do anything i may ever need. It is a bit larger than the FZ3, but is still fairly light. I dont' think size and weight will be aproblem, I have toted my old Canon AE-1 many a mile.

thanks for the advice. Merry Christmas to all!

new_camera_man is offline   Reply With Quote