Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:05 PM   #1

:? Is there someone out there who owns the above named camera. I have a hard time finding out how the camera behaves and actual results. Since I am seriously considering buying this camera, I would appreciate hearing from you. The other camera I am considering is the Panasonic Lumix FZ20
retinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:36 AM   #2

Oddly enough I visited friends who had one of each.

The FZ20 is a dynamite all-round camera. I have an FZ10 and am satisfied with its outdoor ability, but the FZ20 fixed my most serious dislikes. Stabilization is great – both for long telephoto shots and for available light at wider angles. And the flash is now powerful and it has a focus assist light.

The downside of the FZ20 is that it is a large camera. It is light for its size, but bulky to carry around. The strength of the 750Z is that it is a very competent small camera you can carry most of the time. The only advantages over the FZ20 are the better movie mode and flip-out LCD. It is also 7Mp if you have a wide format printer or like to have photos blown up for the wall. But stabilization and f2.8 all the way to 12X is something it can't touch. I think you see only 80% of the scene through the viewfinder on the 750Z, so you are seeing only 5.6Mp through the viewfinder. You have to use the LCD to frame the entire 7Mp. The EVF viewfinder on the FZ20 shows the entire 5Mp.

Steve has a good review of both and DCRP has a review of the FZ20. You can also download both manuals from Panasonic and Pentax.

I find I get more pictures with the small camera I always have with me than the larger more competent cameras I can't always carry. If I could have only one camera I would probably go for the 750Z. I ordered a 750Z and was notified they were out of stock. I smelled a runaround and cancelled, but will likely reorder it. I wouldn't want to give up my FZ10 though, and would prefer a FZ20.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:52 PM   #3

I have the camera now since a week and are very pleased with it. This is my firat dig. camera so I cant compare it to anything else.

It took me nearly a year to choose a model.

Look here for more owners:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1028

ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:09 PM   #4

Phil Askey just did a comparison of 5 cameras in the 750Z class. The 750Z didn't come out well. Pentax is sending him another camera as he might have gotten a lemon. I would wait for the revised tests on the replacement camera. He didn't give an expected time frame for the revision. He doesn't work as quickly as Steve, so it might be a while: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax750z/
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote