Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2004, 3:10 PM   #1

Just when I thought I had my mind made up about a camera... something happens to throw a monkey wrench into my whole plan. :?

I had debated between the FZ3 and Fuji Finepix S3100 (among others). The FZ3 came out ahead and I had planned on ordering it soon. But today, we were given a $50 gift card to WalMart - which happens to carry the Fuji S3100. After taxes and redeeming the gift card, I could have the Fuji for around $280.

The Fuji just has a 6x optical zoom but has 4 MP (FZ3 has 3MP but 12x zoom). Those are the major differences - along with price.

So do I run to Wally World and grab the Fuji? Or pay the difference for the FZ3?? (I could always use the Walmart gift card for other stuff.) But that Fuji S3100 seems like a great camera too!

I know lots of you have experience with the FZ line... anyone know much about that Fuji S3100??

Thanks...

Maryanne
maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 4:53 PM   #2

maryanne wrote:
Quote:
The Fuji just has a 6x optical zoom but has 4 MP (FZ3 has 3MP but 12x zoom). Those are the major differences - along with price.

I would have to say that there are a few more major differences that I know I would consider. The Fuji's viewfinder does not have diopter adjustment, which is important if you wear glasses. Also, the Fuji's manual mode is only a partial manual mode. Lastly, the Panasonic has image stabilisation, while the Fuji does not.

I love Fuji products, and would have no problem getting the S3100. However, I do think the FZ3 is worth the extra money, if you have it to spend. If you are the kind to constantly second-guess your decisions, then just get the FZ3 and run with it, and don't look back......

Phil
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:34 AM   #3

I agree with PhilR. The FZ3 is a much nicer camera. Manual exposure modes and that oh-so-nice image-stabilized f2.8 12x-zoom lens... You won't regret it.

(Can you tell I'm a panasonic fan? I do have a Fuji 2800, the 2MP version of the 3100, and it's really nice, but when I need a picture to look good, I use my Lumix).

DCM

DigiCamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:07 AM   #4

If I recall correctly, the 3100's 'M' mode is simply an Aperture Priority mode with only 3 choices of aperture.

Perhaps the 'M' stands for Misleading...
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:34 AM   #5

Okay... I'm getting a little confused... especially after reading Digicaman's talk about the Fuji's picture quality too...

:?

Maryanne
maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:04 PM   #6

Look no further, go for the FZ3.

Panasonic FZs are the best long zoom cameras currently,check out the reviews posted on different sites like this one or Dpreview.com, Imaging-resource.com and Dcresource.com

The image quality on the FZ3 is quite similar to the FZ20, do not hesitate to buy this camera, it´s the best within the price range.
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote