Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:35 PM   #1

Can anyone help me understand the value of these two.

It seems to me that the Pro 1 is the better choice because of the Zoom range and overall better pictures. I'm not sure I will be able to tell the difference to be honest.

I like the extra zoom but worry about the absence of the AF Assist on the Pro 1. Should this be a worry? I will be using the camera as a complement to the SD 300 so size is a consideration but I really want the picture that will give me the best shots of my kids and family.

Any help is appreciated.

bls745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:25 PM   #2

The Pro1 is a uber high-end prosumer camera. It basically at the highest level of prosumer camera without going into DSLRs. It is also way more expensive than the G6.

If you just want general family photos, I would go with the G6. I think the Pro1 is overkill and it has certain major flaws (eg. LCD freeze when shooting fast moving objects). Based on what you are saying, the high-end prosumers don't seem best for you. Of course, if price isn't a matter then getting the most expensive camera (like Pro1/Sony F828/Konica Minolta A2/etc) is ok...

I don't remember the specs of SD300 but can you wait? You can try waiting one more year and see what cameras show up. Maybe the Pro1's flaws will be fixed... or maybe Panasonic will introduce a high-end prosumer camera... or whatever...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:33 PM   #3

I need to replace my cameras now and while price is not an issue I don't want to overbuy. The compelling feature of the Pro 1 was the zoom and now that they have a firmware upgrade I thought most issues were resolved; e.g. freeze.

I can wait but it sounds like you weigh in for the G6.

Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:32 AM   #4

If you want as many features as possible without going DSLR then the high-end prosumers (eg. Canon Pro1, Sony F828, Konica Minolta A2, etc) can't be beaten. Something like the G6 is no match for the Pro1 EXCEPT for one key thing that G6 has: the G6 has a much larger aperature than the Pro1 (F2.0 vs F2.4).

The problem is that I think the Pro1 is flawed. I think if you wait one more year, you should be able to get a good camera. I know you can keep saying that forever but I think you'll see some key technology changes in the coming year.

If you do decide to go with a high-end prosumer, don't forget to compare the competitors from Sony, etc...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:53 PM   #5

Hi, I just thought that I would offer an observation. I was struggling with replacing my Fuji S5000. That has been a really great camera. But there were a few things bothering me--picture quality--which in its class is not bad--so I was looking for other cameras with the 10X zoom. I was looking at the Olympus C770, as well as the Canon IS1, and others. I had always liked the Canon G5, but was put off by the 4X zoom. I liked what I saw in the Canon G6 even better. From a practical sense, any situation where I would use a 10X--zoo, whatever, I could always use a telephoto extender.

The bottom line for me came down to picture quality. There are a couple of shots that Steve uses repeatedly in his Sample Pictures--Bon Appetit's Marina & Cafe and the Sail Honeymoon boat rental--so that I was able to do some side by side between all of the cameras that I was interested in. I found that the G6 came very close to the Pro1 in these two scenes.I could not really tell much difference in color quality or picture clarity. Look for clarity in the details in small things--grass, leaves, bark on thepalms, clarity of any print.

I got it from Abe's of Maine for $549.XX plus about $30 shipping. Yep, it is only 4X but for most of my shots I do not use the extreme (10X) zoom anyway. The G6 also has a super-macro mode that will give you an image side that is actually about 80 to 100% larger that what you shot. It will focus down to about one inch in that mode--you do have to be careful not to touch the subject with the lens.

Before you jump off, I would suggest going to Steve's Camera Reviews and look very closely at those two sample shots that I mentioned above. Then, you have to decide for yourself how good is good enough in terms and picture quality and which bells and whistles are important to you--or not.

Even this early in the experience, I am very pleased with the G6 and do not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. And, as I believe someone mentioned earlier--the all glass F2 lens is just about as fast as any that you will find for a reasonable price. That translates to shooting in lower light situations than say an F2.4 or F2.8. F2 was was even pretty fast for film cameras.

I have already ordered the Canon telephoto (1.75 X) which can be had for less than $100--but get the Canon, not some of the generic lower quality lenses. You will also need the adapter, and be careful there because there is an adapter that has only one letter different selling on Amazon for less than half the price--only problem it does NOT fit.

Check the samples, check your wallet and jump in. Certainly, if you have any questions, fire away. But, at any rate, have fun with it.

Bill C.
dvdwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:59 AM   #6

Yesterday I bought the G6. I met a Canon representative at the specialty store and he was not a store salesman but a Canon rep. He didn't have to sell me on Canon it was really the question in this post that I posed to him.

He turned over a G6 he had on the table and a Pro 1. The G6 had his name on it. He said, "all I can tell you is this is the best all around camera I have ever used and I can have any Canon I want". His remarks were extremely close to what your thought process was so I just went ahead and bought it on the spot (even though I pay more at this store I consider it counselling worth something).

Is there a book on how to use the G6 that you know of? There are tons of questions I have after only a few hours using it that are not covered in the book.

Either way, I very much appreciate your responding and it has helped me with a decision I have been frustrated with for weeks.