Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:02 AM   #11

gwtx2 wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand that price difference either. The exchange rate for 1US$ is $.835CAN. You can get the FZ20 for, let's say $500US. That is $418CAN. I'm not an economist, nor a retailer, so I really can't justify my comments.

You apply it the other way round I think. $500 US would be about $600 Canadian. I think that exchange rate is telling you that a Canadian dollar is worth .835 US dollars.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:08 PM   #12

slipe wrote:
Quote:
gwtx2 wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand that price difference either. The exchange rate for 1US$ is $.835CAN. You can get the FZ20 for, let's say $500US. That is $418CAN. I'm not an economist, nor a retailer, so I really can't justify my comments.

You apply it the other way round I think.* $500 US would be about $600 Canadian.* I think that exchange rate is telling you that a Canadian dollar is worth .835 US dollars.
Exactly. But if I go across the border now with the Canadian Dollar being closer $600 is better than $900!
CanuckBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:16 PM   #13

Actually now that I have read all the reviews on the FZ3 it looks like a pretty darn nice camera for the same price as the Kodak 7590! For the same price I think this would be a better option!
CanuckBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:03 PM   #14

Just to clarify, there is no Canadian duty on camera equipment boughtin the US. Call Canada Border Services (Canada Customs) andthey will confirm it for you.

I bought my FZ20 from B&H in the US and it was way, way cheaper than what I would have paid here in Canada. Yeah yeah, possible warranty issues, I'm aware of all that. (But I haven't even looked at whether it's an issue really.) But the fact is I paid around $590 Cdn for it (The US price was $499 US - I bought when the Cdn dollar wasaround 0.84 US) and it would have cost $900 Cdn here in Canada. And again, there is no duty at the Canadian border on camera equipment.GST and PST (Cdn sales taxes) will be the same whether you buy from the US or Canada.The only additional cost is shipping but B&H shipped overnight with UPS and it was something like $25 US.

Also, I considered the 7590 but when I carefullycompared the reviews for the 7590 and the FZ20, there really was no comparison. I'm sorry, I can't remember all the differences right now, but one thing I think I recall is that the Kodak doesn't even have a manual mode...? I think perhaps it may also lack manual white balance...? Also, as has been mentioned, the image stabilization is worth the price. Also the 12x F2.8 lens is worth it. It was a while ago, but I recall concluding that the 7590 is cheaper for quite a few reasons. It looks and sort of acts like a prosumer camera but really it isn't quite a prosumer. They are just different classes of camera, the 7590 is a cheaper camera than the FZ20.

I'm sorry I don't have all the details right now but if you read all the reviews you can get your hands on, and read them carefully, I am sure you will come to the same conclusion. I hope this helps.

CanuckBlue wrote:
Quote:
Yes see that's the problem! I don't understand why the 7590 is $599 in Canada and the FZ20 is $900! It's ridiculous! Maybe I should take the hour trip to to the States and purchase it there. I can then say I had it with me when I left and not pay the Duty either!
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:33 PM   #15

Revolver, maybe B&H will sell you an Extended Warranty for your FZ20 given that you purchased it from them recently...just a thought. I do not believe there are any country restrictions on them but, of course, confirm this with B&H.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:14 PM   #16

Good idea,I should give them a call about that.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote