Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:45 PM   #1

I've been trying to decide between the Panasonic fz20 and the Kodak 7590 camera's and would appreciate some help making a choice. In Canada the fz20 is $300 more than the 7590. Is the fz20 really that much of a better camera than the Kodak? I thought the Kodak 7590 looked pretty darn good minus the IS, and the Reviews on all the sites are all favorable to the Kodak. But if you people think the Pano fz20 is a way better camera I will probably wait and save the extra $300 and go for it! What do you all think?

Any comparison's and input would be very much appreciated!
CanuckBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:56 PM   #2

Stabilization is a great feature on a long zoom. Minolta advertises it is worth 3 f-stops and the Panasonic stabilization is as good. That might be a little generous, but it is worth at least 2 and probably more. Add to that the FZ20 lens is almost an f-stop faster at full zoom, and you can handhold in 1/8 the light for a telephoto shot. You can also handhold in at least 1/4 the light for available light shots indoors.

Stabilization lets you shoot in more situations without having to carry a tripod. It is a feature I find very desirable. Whether that is worth the bucks is a personal decision.

The FZ20 has a 23 foot rated flash range at full zoom where the Kodak is 12 feet. I think that is significant with a long zoom camera for getting close shots of people far enough away to not be aware of a camera in their face.

The Kodak has a higher quality EVF viewfinder and a bigger LCD. Burst mode is almost twice as fast on the FZ20. And you can fire bursts indefinitely with only 2 seconds for the buffer to clear. The Kodak has a higher quality movie mode, but 12fps is jerky. At 320 X 240 the FZ20 movies are smoother at 30fps compared to 20fps on the Kodak. Neither take really good movies. The Kodak dock is handy if you have room on your computer desk. I like the control setup better on the Kodak, but the FZ20 has a great manual focus control system where I don't think the Kodak will even focus manually.

After using it on my FZ10 I will never again buy a large camera without stabilization. I wish it were available in a good small pocket camera as well. Panasonic makes a small camera with stabilization but I don't like it much. There are some things I don't like with the FZ10 they fixed with the FZ20. I think it is overall a great camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:29 PM   #3

That's for the reply.

You make the points on each very nicely and easy to understand! I'm not interested in a camera that has a great movie mode! I want a camera for good pictures! You helped me with the points on the flash strength of each camera. (a plus for the FZ20)
I like the fact that the Kodak's EVF and viewfinder is better and usable in low light (plus for 7590). The stabilization definitely looks like a great feature (plus FZ20)! Burst mode is a plus for the FZ20.

I would love to hear more comparisons and thoughts on each! Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:48 AM   #4

I should point out the sensor on the FZ20 is a tad grainier than the Kodak's.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, though. I'm a huge FZ fan and I hate Kodaks.

The FZ's wider lens (f2.8 even at max zoom) does let in more light, and the image stabilization does allow you to cope with less light if that's the case, and to take good panning shots. So if lighting is great and your subject is close to you, I might say the Kodak is better, but if you want that zoom, then go with the FZs.

And you don't have to necessarily go all out and get an FZ20. There are also the FZ15 and the FZ10, and the smaller FZ3, all with awesome f2.8 lenses and image stabilization. And the Canon S1 IS might also be a good compromise, as coule the Minolta Z3 as already mentioned.
DigiCamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 9:39 AM   #5

That's a nice site of yours Digicamman.
I had thought of the Canon S1 IS but It's more of a hybrid and I think the Kodak is a better choice as those 2 are the same price. We don't seem to have the FZ15 here in Canada! It's not listed on the Panasonic of Canada website or else I might consider the FZ15! I guess there is always Ebay but I find people on there always ask more for items than I can purchase in the store especially with the exchange rate and duties etc. Maybe I should wait till spring when the new models come out and the FZ20 goes down in price!
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:43 AM   #6

Quote:
The FZ's wider lens (f2.8 even at max zoom) does let in more light, and the image stabilization does allow you to cope with less light if that's the case, and to take good panning shots. So if lighting is great and your subject is close to you, I might say the Kodak is better, but if you want that zoom, then go with the FZs.
Not sure I follow that. I haven't experienced a situation that f8, ISO 80 and 1/2000 second shutter capability couldn't moderate the light properly. If your FZ is overexposing you might consider having it serviced.

I'm also not familiar with a correlation between the subject being close and overexposure problems. It is the white beach, snow or cumulous clouds in the background that stress the upper limits of the exposure.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:32 PM   #7

I had the DX7590 for two months and sold it on eBay. It was a Best Buy extended warranty replacement for a "gone bad, gone for good" Oly C3000. I was ready for an upgrade, so selling it was not a loss. Anyhow, there was something about the 7590 that I didn't like. Everytime I picked it up, my mind kept telling me I don't like this camera. Two things I didn't like were the inconsistent white balance and slow card access. It took great pictures most of the time, but sometimes some were lacking in that striking detail you expect. I don't want to bash the DX, but it just wasn't for me.

I researched and researched and decided on the FZ20. I'm a proud owner for three days now - not quite long enough to compare outdoor picture quality since it's dark when I get home from work. The indoor pictures I've taken have been good. I don't think the color is as saturated as the Kodak, but I really think some settings will solve that problem.

I zoomed in (48x with digital) on a 2"x3" photo in a mid-level lit room 20ft away and the picture I took was very good. No tripod, but I rested the camera on my knee. Handheld (12X optical)zooms were also good. So the stablizer lives up to its name.

As far as the EVF is concerned; yes the Kodak has a sharper image, but I can't complain about the FZ20's EVF. It could have been better, but it is definitely not a point to be used on your decision tree.

The FZ20 zoom and focus speed is faster and smoother than the Kodak. Card saves on the FZ are much faster, which yields much less time between shots (a good thing).

To me, the FZ is just so much more a professional type camera than the Kodak in the feel, the operation, and the functionailty. It reminds me a lot of an old Minolta Maxxum 7000 I used before going digital. If you've ever owned the Maxxum, you know what I mean.

So far, I don't regret my purchase. I'm very pleased. However, I don't know that I would personally pay $300 more for the FZ over the DX. In fact, I know I wouldn't. Fortunately, in the US, the price difference is not that extreme.
gwtx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:36 PM   #8

Yes see that's the problem! I don't understand why the 7590 is $599 in Canada and the FZ20 is $900! It's ridiculous! Maybe I should take the hour trip to to the States and purchase it there. I can then say I had it with me when I left and not pay the Duty either!
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:19 PM   #9

I've seen some good package deals on eBay for $599 which included camera, bag, extra battery, SD card, reader, and other things. Maybe you can go that route.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:36 PM   #10

I don't understand that price difference either. The exchange rate for 1US$ is $.835CAN. You can get the FZ20 for, let's say $500US. That is $418CAN. I'm not an economist, nor a retailer, so I really can't justify my comments.